BEIJING (AP) — China says its military drills near Taiwan serve as a stern warning against foreign interference and independence moves in the self-governing island off its east coast. Taiwan Affairs Office spokesperson Zhu Fenglian made the remarks Wednesday in China’s first official comment on its flying of a dozen or more warplanes near Taiwan on two occasions last weekend. The U.S. responded to the first round of flights with a statement urging China “to cease its military, diplomatic, and economic pressure against Taiwan.” The Chinese government regards Taiwan as a renegade province that should be united with mainland China.
View Comments Related Shows (Photo by Bruce Glikas) Star Files Nathan Lane Three-time Tony winner Jack O’Brien will helm a revival of the classic newspaper comedy The Front Page on Broadway this fall. According to an Equity casting notice, Ben Hecht and Charles MacArthur’s show is aiming to play a limited engagement September 20 through February 5, 2017, officially opening on October 20. No word yet on theater.Two-time Tony winner Nathan Lane was rumored to be eyeing headlining a revival of the classic play back in 2011, when he starred as fiery editor Walter Burns opposite Billy Crudup as Hildy Johnson in a reading of the show, directed by Daniel Sullivan. Lane most recently appeared on Broadway in 2014’s It’s Only a Play, which was helmed by O’Brien.The Front Page, which follows tabloid newspaper reporters on the police beat, has been revived on Broadway four times since its 1928 debut, most recently by Lincoln Center Theater in a 1986 mounting that starred John Lithgow as Walter Burns and Richard Thomas as Hildy Johnson.A Tony winner for The Producers and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Lane also received Tony nominations for Guys and Dolls and The Nance. The Front Page Show Closed This production ended its run on Jan. 29, 2017 Nathan Lane
Governor Jim Douglas today was joined by State Treasurer Jeb Spaulding, BISCHA Commissioner Paulette Thabault, Greg Marchildon from AARP, John Gannon from FINRA and others at a forum to educate Vermonters, especially senior citizens about how to protect against investment fraud. All Vermonters, especially senior citizens must take important steps to protect themselves and their finances from investors seeking to defraud them of their live saving and retirement investments. That s why I was so pleased to attend and participate in today s forum, said Governor Douglas. During economic downturns we often see a rise in predatory and exploitive practices by a few bad apples, and we must always be diligent in protecting ourselves from investment fraud. The free and open program included lunch and a panel of experts that discussed among other important topics, the steps you should take to protect yourself and your money. The program also included an opportunity for attendees to ask the panel questions about safe investing. I want to extend my thanks to the organizations that made this free seminar available today. This important information could save Vermont senior citizens thousands of dollars and help them make wise investment decisions, Douglas continued.For more information about safe investing, visit www.saveandinvest.org(link is external).Source: Governor’s office
Last week I penned a blog on what it’s like being a member of a credit union. I shared my feeling that most of us do not know what the experience is like because we are in fact employees with an account where we work. An entirely different experience.The day after that story ran I experienced first hand how awful it is to be an anonymous member. And it was my fault – I admit it. I totally forgot that I had scheduled my quarterly taxes to debit my checking account this month and it overdrew me. Luckily I had money in savings so my credit union transferred money to cover my house payment, which came in right after the taxes. They charged me $3.00 for the transfer. Not bad. But the next day three items came in and instead of transferring one time, the computer was set up to transfer individually so the credit union could collect $3.00 each time, and, for you compliance geeks out there you know what’s about to happen next … I’m dangerously close to my 6 unauthorized transfer limit from shares. The Reg D debacle.And so it happened the next day, two more transfers and also the day when I happen to check my balance. Not only did I hit magic number six, but then courtesy pay kicked in and the fee jumped to $30.00 to cover my cell phone bill. I’m out $48.00 in fees and I am now unable to make a transfer from shares to keep this from happening again. I call the 800 number (that boasts 24 hour service) but of course this is out of their realm of assistance and I’m told a note has been put on my file for them to transfer tomorrow for another $3.00 fee. continue reading » 7SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Happy Labor Day!Labor Day is always the transition between summer and fall. Pro football is starting, college football is here, and the September push to the Fall Classic of baseball is underway. Pro basketball and hockey are just around the corner, and before you know it, high school basketball will begin.Have a great Labor Day!
By David Smith Jr.OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. – A huge weekend double-header awaits the Sprint Series of Oklahoma IMCA RaceSaver Sprint Car Series presented by Smiley’s Racing Products.The tour will make a Friday, Aug. 18 appearance at Southern Oklahoma Speedway in Ardmore before making its inaugural appearance at Lawton Speedway for a Saturday, Aug. 19 event atop the famed red clay quarter-mile oval.The SSO has been scheduled four previous times this 2017 race season with Mother Nature having its way twice. Michael Day won the last time the series visited Ardmore back on June 23 while Chad Koch took the series opener back on March 25. Dating back to last year’s inaugural season, Southern Oklahoma Speedway has hosted a total of six series events without a repeat winner.Season-long point leader Jake Martens comes into the two-race weekend with a slim 13-point advantage over defending tour and IMCA national champion Andy Shouse. Shouse also has a series-leading four feature victories on the season while Martens remains winless.Despite missing one event, Joe Wood Jr. sits 46 points out of the point lead and third in the standings while Loyd Clevenger is fourth. Chris Kelly sits fifth while Koch, Blake Dacus, Justin Fisk, Cody Whitworth and Tristan Oakes round out the top 10 in points.Joining the above-mentioned drivers for this coming weekend’s events are Dillon Laden, Steven Shebester, Jerry Jumper, Gary Owens, Blake Scott, Brandon Anderson, Josh Toho, Justin Mowry and Cody Jarvis.Several North Texas drivers are also expected to make the trip across the Red River to do battle and one or both venues.Friday night’s event opens at 5 p.m. with racing action slated for 7:30 p.m. Grandstand admission prices are $15 for adults and $10 for ages 6-12. All pit passes are $30.Saturday night’s inaugural appearance at Lawton Speedway will see gates open at 6 p.m. with race action at 8:30 p.m. Adult grandstand admission is $15 while seniors 60 and over and students ages 12-15 are $10, children ages 6-12 are $2 and five and under are free. All pit passes are $30.
Press Association Desailly played in France, Italy and England during a glittering career that saw him collect two Champions League winner’s medals. Bale has claimed several times throughout his career that he would have no problem playing abroad and Desailly thinks experiencing football in a foreign country is vital to a player’s development. “He needs to discover, as (David) Beckham has done, that an English guy or a Welsh guy has the capacity to export himself,” the Frenchman said. “It’s not a matter of money because he has (money) where he is at Tottenham – it’s just the experience. “Experience to play at a very high level at a club that has the culture of victory, a club that has trophies in the cupboard – not one or two, but plenty. “To experience playing with other big players, to be maybe a second choice. To face difficulty, a new language for his family. “It’s a real change of life and an approach to life as a human being and as a soccer player.” Bale on Thursday night came off the bench to play the final 30 minutes of Tottenham’s end-of-season friendly against Jamaica in the Bahamas, which ended 0-0. The Spurs forward has just had the best season of his career, scoring a remarkable 31 goals for club and country. Tottenham’s failure to qualify for the Champions League has led to increased speculation that the 23-year-old could leave White Hart Lane, although the player himself has dropped hints over the last few days that he will stay. Desailly thinks Bale cannot fulfill his ambitions at the north London club, however, and believes the time is right for the Wales international to move on, as he told the BBC: “He should go, he should just go. Tottenham will not give him the opportunity to play at a very high level. There’s no price for experience. I think it’s the time for him to go.” Gareth Bale should leave Tottenham for a club that has a “culture of victory”, according to Marcel Desailly.
For all the Latest Sports News News, ICC World Cup News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: South Africa is currently under pressure in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 encounter against Bangladesh in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 clash against Bangladesh. Shakib Al Hasan and Mushfiqur Rahim blasted fifties and shared a record partnership to put Bangladesh on course for a big score against the Proteas, who are currently low on confidence after losing their ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 opener against England at the same venue a couple of days ago. Their problems have been compounded even further with Lungi Ngidi, their pacer, been ruled out of this match due to a hamstring injury which he sustained after he bowled four overs. Ngidi had missed the entire 2019 Indian Premier League for Chennai Super Kings due to a side strain and his World Cup preparation was in doubt.Ngidi did not get off to a good start in the match against Bangladesh. After getting hit for a boundary in the first over, he tightened things up in the second over. However, in the third over, Soumya Sarkar managed to hit him for three boundaries which included two pull shots to the deep midwicket fence. Things got only worse for Ngidi in the fourth over as Sarkar blasted two more boundaries, one straight down the ground to long off and one cut shot over the slips. The frustration boiled over for Ngidi and he flung a throw back at Tamim Iqbal, who responded by pulling him to the deep midwicket fence.After figures of 0/34 in four overs, Ngidi was taken off the attack but he was not on the field. An update was provided that Ngidi was getting treatment for his left hamstring and the news came that the youngster would not take any part in the match. With Dale Steyn ruled out due to an injury, South Africa’s pace stocks have diminished further and he could be in doubt for the remainder of the tournament. In South Africa’s opening game against England at the Kennington Oval, Imran Tahir was the star and he created history by becoming the first spinner ever to open the bowling in the tournament. He immediately accounted for Jonny Bairstow with his second ball and got the big wicket of England skipper Eoin Morgan but South Africa still lost the match by 104 runs. South Africa’s next encounter will be against India in Southampton on June 5. Lungi Ngidi suffered a left hamstring injury.Dale Steyn is out due to a shoulder injury.South Africa’s next World Cup match is against India on June 5. highlights
Hundreds of janitors and union workers gathered in front of Bovard Auditorium and marched down Trousdale Parkway on Thursday afternoon to protest possible changes to their contracts and to make their voices heard as negotiations draw to a close.“Justice for janitors” · A protest leader riles up the crowd of protesting janitors and service employees on Trousdale Parkway at the march and demonstration Thursday. – Mindy Curtis | Daily TrojanUSC’s janitors are contracted through an outside company, Aramark. The university’s current contract with Aramark ends Friday at midnight and workers said current negotiations for the renewed contract include improved health care benefits.“Our priority is health insurance,” said David Mendoza, an Aramark-contracted employee who has been working on campus for 14 years. “They need to pay our complete insurance.”According to Service Employees International Union member Raphael Leib, who led the rally and procession down Trousdale, workers hope the new contract will require a flat co-payment of $10 for most medical visits rather than a percentage of total medical costs. This change would also apply to their families.“There are a lot of issues going on that affect us as working people,” Leib said. “Policies that affect working people affect their families as well.”Sociology associate professor Veronica Terriquez, who has researched labor rights, said the janitor’s union has been instrumental in helping shape the fight for better working conditions throughout Los Angeles for the past 20 years, but there is a still a struggle for fair rights.“I hope they get a fair contract and get what they deserve,” Terriquez said. “Health care is critical for people who do such hard work. It’s physically demanding and puts them in contact with dangerous chemicals.”Jose Ramirez, who has been working on campus for 13 years, said the need for improved health care goes beyond just physical medical needs. He wants to see benefits comparable to those of other university employees.“People get in accidents because of psychological pressure on the job,” he said. “We want to get the best we can for our workers. We’re trying to get the same coverage for medical, visual and dental insurance.”Details of the new contract were not available to workers and union members at the time of the protest, but other complaints include consideration of salary and tuition benefits for children of Aramark-contracted janitors who work on-campus.“We live check-by-check,” said Salvador Hernandez, who has been working on campus for 21 years. “USC can afford this program. Why are they going to strangle us [in negotiations]?”Leib said part of the goal of protesting was to make the USC faculty and students more aware of their grievances.“We’re members of the USC community,” he said. “We deserve the same respect.”Several students attended the rally to show their support in the new contract negotiations.“I talked to one of [the workers]. They have to work limited hours and don’t get health care,” said sophomore psychology major Mayra Morales. “It’s kind of unfair.”Junior neuroscience major Samantha Castillo said she is concerned that workers will lose some of the rights and benefits they already have.“I know they were cutting a lot,” she said. “I don’t want them to cut down on anything they already have.”University administration could not be reached for comment at press time.