Ireland’s PM returns to medical practice to help in coronavirus crisis

first_img“Many of his family and friends are working in the health service. He wanted to help out even in a small way,” the spokesman added.Last month, health minister Simon Harris launched a recruitment drive for the country’s struggling health service to tackle the coronavirus outbreak with a stark message: “Your country needs you”.The HSE said it had spoken to thousands of healthcare professionals who may be eligible to return after it received more than 70,000 responses for its “Be on call for Ireland” initiative.According to a report in the Irish Times, Varadkar is helping out with phone assessments. Anybody who may have been exposed to the virus is initially assessed over the phone.Varadkar comes from a medical family. He is the son of a doctor and a nurse and, according to the Irish Times, his partner, two sisters and their husbands all work in healthcare. Ireland’s prime minister Leo Varadkar has re-registered as a medical practitioner and will work one shift a week to help out during the coronavirus crisis, his office said on Sunday.Varadkar worked as a doctor for seven years before leaving the profession to become a politician and was removed from the medical register in 2013.He rejoined the medical register in March, and offered his services to the country’s Health Service Executive (HSE) for one session a week in areas that are within his scope of practice, a spokesman for his office said. Topics :last_img read more

Body pulled from the Loxahatchee River

first_imgPolice in Jupiter are currently investigating after a body was found floating in the Loxahatchee River.The body was located around 6:00 am near Central Boulevard and Riverwalk area on Friday.Not much is known about the incident at this time including the sex of the individual or their cause of death.Authorities say they are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death.last_img

USC hires former FBI director to investigate Bland

first_imgPhoto from WikipediaHours after news broke on Tuesday morning that USC men’s basketball assistant coach Tony Bland was arrested on charges that included bribery and fraud, the University’s athletic department took swift strides that culminated in the commencement of its own internal investigation, hiring former FBI director Louis Freeh to handle the case.Bland and nine others were brought down by a sting operation conducted by the FBI. Freeh is an expert in compliance investigations. He served as FBI Director from 1993 to 2001, and before that he was an Assistant U.S. Attorney. Freeh has experience in NCAA compliance. His firm, Freeh Group, was hired by Penn State in November of2011 to conduct the investigation on Jerry Sandusky’s child abuse scandal when he was assistant coach at the football program.In July of 2012, Freeh published a 267-page report on Penn State condemning the highest-ranking university officials for covering up Sandusky’s criminal actions and thereby endangering minors. It was Freeh’s report that led to the toppling of head football coach Joe Paterno and a slew of high-ranking PSU officials.In fact, evidence Freeh’s team uncovered was key in a lawsuit decided earlier this year that indicted former-PSU President Graham Spanier and other university administrators on charges of child endangerment. Later on Tuesday morning, Athletic Director Lynn Swann released a statement that the university was “shocked” by the news and that his department would “fully cooperate” with the federal investigation moving forward. USC Vice President for Athletic Compliance Mike Blanton put out a second statement announcing Bland’s immediate administrative leave. Blanton stressed USC’s “highest priority on athletic compliance” and backed that by declaring that the school had hired Freeh to conduct the investigation.Such a thorough investigation does not come cheap. According to a Penn State trustee, Freeh’s services cost the university $8.3 million. USC’s move to hire Freeh may indicate a no-nonsense attitude toward the Bland scandal and its impetus to get to the bottom of the case sooner rather than later at all costs.last_img read more

So, how did Khalil Mack do in his Chicago Bears debut?

first_imgGet Raiders news in your inbox. Sign up now for the free Raiders HQ newsletter.Let’s hope, for Jon Gruden’s sake, he didn’t watch this one.If he did, he might regret trading Khalil Mack, who simply did Khalil Mack things as he tortured the Packers in his debut with the Chicago Bears.How does being the first player since 2016 with a sack, interception, forced fumble, fumble recovery and defensive touchdown in a single game sound? Who was the player to fill the stat sheet like that two …last_img read more

Solomon Corroborated: It’s His Copper Mine

first_img(Visited 38 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0 Copper mines in the Aravah of Israel were most likely Solomon’s property, not the Egyptians’, new date estimates show, supporting the Biblical chronology.“Proof of Solomon’s Mines in Israel” reads a headline on PhysOrg.  The famous copper mines of Timna, a national park in Israel near Eilat on the Red Sea, have been re-dated to the time of Solomon by radiocarbon testing of date and olive pits.  More detail is on the Haaretz website for subscribers.The new date swings the pendulum from the “Egyptian paradigm” that claims they were bronze-age mines when Egypt controlled Canaan, back to the “Solomonic paradigm” that the mines were indeed “King Solomon’s mines,” or at least were in operation during his reign.  Powerful king that he was, it seems reasonable that he was in control of the extensive mining operation.The re-evaluation also sheds light on the copper works in Edom.  Todd Bolen on Bible Places Blog reserves judgment on who owned the mines, but notes that the Edomites were subjects of Solomon and could have worked the mines to pay tribute.  Noting the reversal of fortune of advocates for the Egyptian paradigm, he said,If I had time, it would be interesting to go back through the literature and review the statements of those who used the absence of evidence at Timna from Solomon’s time as evidence against the biblical account. Once again we see why we should hold to the assured results of archaeological research lightly.An open-access copy of the archaeologists’ report on BASOR is available here.Another example that if you wait long enough, claims doubting the historicity of the Biblical account get falsified.last_img read more

More South Africans getting educated

first_img30 October 2012 South Africans are becoming increasingly better educated, according to the country’s latest census, with the proportion of children at school showing a marked increase, as well as the percentage of people who have completed their secondary schooling. Statistics South Africa released the results of census 2011, the country’s third population count since democratic elections were first held in 1994, in Pretoria on Tuesday. The previous censuses took place in 2001 and 1996. There has been a general increase in the percentage of South Africans from the ages of five up to 15 attending school, the census 2011 results show. Enrolment for the five-year-old age group increased from 22.5% in 1996 to 45.6% in 2001 to 81.2% in 2011. For the six-year-old age group, these figures were at 49.1% in 1996, 70.3% in 2001 and 92.7% in 2011, while for the seven-year-old group they were at 73.1% in 1996, 88.4% in 2001 and 96.1% in 2011. “The vast majority of students in South Africa attend public educational institutions. Only 5% of those aged 5 to 24 years, who were attending educational institutions in 2001, attended private institutions as opposed to the 7.3% in 2011,” the census report states.Increase in private school attendance There was a general increase in private school attendance across all the provinces, with the highest in Gauteng at 16.7%, followed by the Western Cape at 7.5% and the Free State at 6.4%. All other provinces had private institution attendance rates of less than 5%. An increase in black Africans aged between 5 and 24 years attending educational institutions was also recorded. Figures for this population group increased steadily from 70.7% in 1996 to 72.1% in 2001, to 73.9% in 2011. Attendance rates among coloured, Indian/Asian and white population groups also increased. The results also showed that the proportion of individuals aged 20 who have no schooling, halved from 19.1% in 1996 to 8.6% in 2011. “There is a significant decrease in persons with no schooling over the 10 years,” the report states. In addition, the percentage of South Africans aged 20 years and older that have received no formal education has decreased steadily between 1996 and 2011. In 1996, 17% of males in this age group had no formal education. This decreased to 15.5% in 2001 and further to 7.2% in 2011. Among females, the percentage with no formal education declined from 20.9% in 1996, to 20% in 2001 and 9.9% in 2011. A notable improvement was also recorded in the number of people who had completed their education. “The proportion of persons who completed secondary education (matric) or higher increased from 23.4% in 1996 to 40.5% in 2011,” the report states. Source: SANews.gov.zalast_img read more

Competitive Conservation Reserve Program signs up over 800,000 acres

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The USDA and Farm Service Agency release the official number of acres recently signed up for the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP). The 800,000 acres chosen were among thousands of more acres that were offered up by farmers across the country. The Ohio Ag Net’s Ty Higgins caught up with FSA Administrator Val Dolcini about the competitive program, if more acres will be added in the next Farm Bill and if this program is competing with younger farmers looking for more land to work.last_img read more

Panchayat which banned mobiles goes into hiding

first_imgA Mathura village panchayat which banned women from using mobile phones in public went underground on Thursday for fear of police action.As news of the diktat broke to the outside world, leading to widespread outrage, most panchayat members of Mandora village, including Mohammad Usman and Mohammad Ghafffar, the current and former village heads, disowned the diktat.Village elders refused to speak to the media and were clearly uncomfortable when asked if they could be photographed.Alok Dubey, circle officer of the Govardhan area, said the police would not allow anyone to implement such a diktat. “We are probing the matter and will take action if any such restrictive practices are implemented,” he said.Mr Usman said the panchayat members were not against mobile phones as such but were of the firm belief that they aided criminal and unwanted activities among youngsters.“The increasing criminalisation of our youngsters and lack of employment are a matter of concern. That is what led us to decide that anyone who indulging in criminal activities should be fined,” he said.“Because of lack of education and unavailability of employment and skill training, the last two generation of youngsters of Mandora and nearby villages have turned to crime,” Mr Usman said, justifying the ban on women using mobile phones.Mr Ghaffar concurred with the village head. “The culture in cities is different from the culture here. Boys and girls have started running away from their homes and that leads to murder and violence. Look at what happened in Bulandshahr,” he said, referring to the lynching of an elderly man allegedly because a Muslim youth eloped with a Hindu girl.The village was in the news in January 2014 also, when it decided to boycott the Lok Sabha elections as the village lacks even basic infrastructure.last_img read more