Jan Merrill-Oldham, Harvard’s Malloy-Rabinowitz Preservation Librarian from 1995 through 2010, has received the Ross Atkinson Lifetime Achievement Award from the Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS). Widely acknowledged as the driving force in developing Harvard’s renowned preservation programs, Merrill-Oldham received her award from Nancy M. Cline, Roy E. Larsen Librarian of Harvard College, on behalf of ALCTS.According to Cline, “It is Jan’s knowledgeable tenacity, her ability to develop programs and staff, and her broad international network of colleagues that have made such a difference for Harvard’s preservation program.”It is to Merrill-Oldham’s credit that Harvard’s libraries benefit from a carefully coordinated relationship between collections conservation and special collections conservation; state-of-the-art conservation labs in Widener and the Weissman Preservation Center; a multifaceted special collections program for the conservation of books, paper, photographs, and film; a preservation review program; a comprehensive imaging services program; and a proven Library Collections Emergency Team. Her comprehensive approach to preservation yielded more than $11 million in support from the National Endowment for the Humanities.“Harvard’s library preservation programs stem from Jan’s wise decisions and her direction about people and programs, and her overall philosophy of preservation,” stated Harvard Library Executive Director Helen Shenton. “It is one of the paradoxes of preservation that at first glance it is about the past, but in fact, it is all about the future.”The award honors the memory of Ross Atkinson, a distinguished library leader, author, and scholar whose extraordinary service to the ALCTS and the library community at large serves as a model for those in the field. Read Full Story
ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey’s defense minister says a joint Turkish-Russian observation center to monitor a cease-fire deal between Azerbaijan and Armenia in Nagorno-Karabakh will become operational on Saturday. Hulusi Akar said in a statement on Friday that a Turkish general and 38 personnel, would be on duty at the center which aims to monitor possible violations of the truce. He did not provide further information. Turkey and Russia agreed to form an observation center shortly after the cease-fire agreement, reached in November, ended six weeks of intense fighting between Azerbaijan and Armenia. Russia, which brokered the cease-fire, has separately deployed nearly 2,000 peacekeepers for at least five years to monitor the agreement.
State prosecutors have announced they are seeking the death penalty against a man accused of stabbing and strangling his father while he was sleeping in a Boca Raton parking garage last month.A notice of intent to seek the death penalty against Jared Noiman was filed Thursday.The police report states that Noiman was “covered in blood” when officers stopped him in Delray Beach several hours after the murder. He “claimed to have been in an altercation in Boca Raton.”The document continues, “Noiman would not elaborate on who was involved in the altercation and did not wish to report a crime.”He was subsequently arrested on a charge of driving without a license and taken into custody. Investigators said at the time there was no probable cause to charge him with the killing.However, Noiman went to the Boca Raton Police Department the next day and confessed to killing his father.“He said the two lived together out of his father’s vehicle and they slept in the parking garage at One Ocean Plaza,” according to police. “Noiman said he did not like the way his father treated him and he started having thoughts about killing him. Noiman continued his statement with a detailed description of how he stabbed his father and then strangled him while he was sleeping in the parking garage.”The notice of intent cites the crime as being “especially heinous, atrocious and cruel.”Read the notice of intent here:
In this Oct. 7, 2011 file photo, President Barack Obama, left, looks towards quarterback Jim McMahon, wearing headband, as he honors the 1985 Super Bowl XX Champion Chicago Bears football team during a ceremony on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington. A group of retired NFL players, including McMahon, says in a lawsuit filed Tuesday, May 20, 2014, that the league illegally supplied them with risky painkillers that numbed their injuries and led to medical complications. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais, File)WASHINGTON (AP) — Opening another legal attack on the NFL over the long-term health of its athletes, a group of retired players accused the league in a lawsuit Tuesday of cynically supplying them with powerful painkillers and other drugs that kept them in the game but led to serious complications later in life.The lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages on behalf of more than 500 ex-athletes, charges the NFL with putting profits ahead of players’ health.To speed injured athletes’ return to the field, team doctors and trainers dispensed drugs illegally, without obtaining prescriptions or warning of the possible side effects, the plaintiffs contend.Some football players said they were never told they had broken bones and were instead fed pills to mask the pain. One said that instead of surgery, he was given anti-inflammatory drugs and excused from practices so he could play in games. Others said that after years of free pills from the NFL, they retired addicted to painkillers.NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, in Atlanta for the league’s spring meetings, said, “Our attorneys have not seen the lawsuit and obviously I have been in meetings all day.”The case comes less than a year after the NFL agreed to pay $765 million to settle lawsuits from thousands of retired players who accused it of concealing the risks of concussions. A federal judge has yet to approve the settlement, expressing concern the amount is too small.The athletes in the concussion case blamed dementia and other health problems on the bone-crushing hits that helped lift pro football to new heights of popularity.The new lawsuit was filed in federal court in San Francisco and names eight players as plaintiffs, including three members of the NFL champion 1985 Chicago Bears: quarterback Jim McMahon, Hall of Fame defensive end Richard Dent and offensive lineman Keith Van Horne.More than 500 other former players have signed on, according to lawyers, who are seeking class-action status for the case. Six of the plaintiffs also took part in the concussion-related litigation, including McMahon and Van Horne.“The NFL knew of the debilitating effects of these drugs on all of its players and callously ignored the players’ long-term health in its obsession to return them to play,” said Steven Silverman, an attorney for the players.As a result of masking their pain with drugs, players developed heart, lung and nerve ailments; kidney failure; and chronic injuries to muscles, bones and ligaments, the lawsuit alleges.According to the lawsuit, players were routinely given drugs that included narcotic painkillers Percodan, Percocet and Vicodin, anti-inflammatories such as Toradol, and sleep aids such as Ambien.Toradol, which can be injected, was described as “the current game-day drug of choice of the NFL.” The medication may raise the risk of heart attack, stroke, kidney failure or intestinal bleeding.After receiving numbing injections and pills before kickoff, players got more drugs and sleep aids after games, “to be washed down by beer,” the lawsuit says.Kyle Turley, who played for three teams in his eight-year career, said drugs were “handed out to us like candy.”“There was a room set up near the locker room and you got in line,” Turley said. “Obviously, we were grown adults and we had a choice. But when a team doctor is saying this will take the pain away, you trust them.”McMahon said he suffered a broken neck and ankle during his career, but instead of sitting out, he received medication and was pushed back onto the field. Team doctors and trainers never told him about the injuries, according to the lawsuit.McMahon also became addicted to painkillers, at one point taking more than 100 Percocet pills per month, even in the offseason, the lawsuit says.Van Horne played an entire season on a broken leg and wasn’t told about the injury for five years, “during which time he was fed a constant diet of pills to deal with the pain,” according to the lawsuit.Former offensive lineman Jeremy Newberry retired in 2009 and said that because of the drugs he took while playing, he suffers from kidney failure, high blood pressure and violent headaches.On game days, Newberry said, he and up to 25 of his San Francisco 49ers teammates would retreat to the locker room to receive Toradol injections in the buttocks 10 minutes before kickoff. The drug numbed the pain almost instantaneously.“The stuff works. It works like crazy. It really does. There were whole seasons when I was in a walking boot and crutches,” Newberry said in an interview. “I would literally crutch into the facility and sprint out of the tunnel to go play.”Newberry said he never considered not taking the drugs because he knew he’d be out of a job if he didn’t play hurt, and the only side effect he was warned about was bruising. He said he could tell which players on the opposing team had used Toradol because of the bloodstains on their pants.After he retired, Newberry said, he saw a specialist who reviewed his medical records and found that for years, the protein levels in his urine had been elevated, a precursor to kidney problems. Newberry said he got blood work during a team-sponsored physical every year but was never told about any problems.“They said, ‘You’re good to go, you passed another one. You’re cleared to play,’” Newberry said.___Associated Press sports writers Barry Wilner in Atlanta and Larry Lage in Detroit contributed to this report.___Follow Ben Nuckols on Twitter at https://twitter.com/APBenNuckols
Facebook248Tweet0Pin0Submitted by The Olympia School DistrictCondee Wood has been named Principal of Thurgood Marshall Middle SchoolCondee Wood has been named principal of Thurgood Marshall Middle School in the Olympia School District. The position became open with the announcement that current Marshall principal John Hitchman has decided to return to a teaching position within the school district. Wood will assume her new responsibilities July 1 pending school board approval.Since 2011 Wood has served as Assistant Principal at Washington Middle School. Prior to joining the Olympia School District, Wood served as Assistant Principal for five years at Pacific Cascade Freshman Campus and one year at Pacific Cascade Middle School in the Issaquah School District. She became a school administrator after having taught high school Language Arts for six years in the Puyallup School District.“I am so excited to continue my professional journey with the students, staff and families of Marshall Middle School,” Wood said. “Although I will deeply miss the Washington Middle School community, I am thrilled to be able to stay in Olympia and to work with such a nurturing, talented staff at Marshall. Having grown up in Olympia, I care greatly about this community and the success of every student who grows up here. I look forward to getting to know each and every student and working hard to ensure the very best educational program for them academically, socially and emotionally. I can’t wait to get started!”Wood earned her Bachelor of Arts Degree in Secondary Education with Language Arts and Speech Endorsements from Western Washington University in 1997. She earned her Master’s Degree in Multicultural Education from the University of Washington in 2004 and her Administrative Credentials from the University of Washington in 2005.Marshall Middle School, located on Olympia’s west side, serves about 400 students in grades 6 through 8.