Social distancing in jeepneys difficult to carry out – Treñas

first_imgThe regional director also told Treñas allhealthcare workers boarding buses do not have to pay fare; they just have topresent their identification cards. The jeepney ban starts today. Social distancing, however, is very difficult to carry out in publicutility vehicles, specifically the passenger jeepneys, according to Mayor JerryTreñas. Still, tricycles and trisikads could only pass local roads,not national roads, stressed Treñas. Osmeña said TFRB is ready to dispatchmore buses, if the city government will request for augmentation./PN Treñas, however, clarified that jeepneysdelivering agricultural products to and from the city could ply the city’sstreets. Only the following public utilityvehicles are allowed to transport passengers because social distancing in themis possible: buses, taxis, tricycles and trisikads. For non-healthcare workers, a P10 fareis imposed. Osmeña, meanwhile, assured the citymayor the Board will permit 10 buses to serve passengers in the first few hourstoday. Because COVID-19 can spread fromperson to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth which are spreadwhen a person with COVID-19 coughs or exhales, social distancing is highlyrecommended by the Department of Health (DOH) and the World Health Organization(WHO). “Mabudlaymag-social distancing ang aton mga pumoluyo sa public utility jeepneys,” said Treñasyesterday. PHOTO BY IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN ILOILO City – Social distancing means increasing the physical space betweenpeople to avoid spreading illness such as the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The objective of social distancing is toreduce the probability of contact between persons carrying an infection, andothers who are not infected, so as to minimize disease transmission, morbidityand ultimately, mortality. Treñas said he consulted with LandTransportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) regional directorRichard Osmeña about the temporary jeepney ban. ‘GHOST TOWN’. The usually congested Sen. Benigno Aquino Jr. Avenue in the bustling district of Mandurriao, Iloilo City is empty on the first day (March 20, 2020) of the nearly month-long lockdown imposed by the city government in a bid to keep the metro free from the coronavirus disease 2019. IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN He thus ordered a halt to the operation of passenger jeepneys whilethe city is on an enhanced community quarantine against COVID-19 until April14, unless extended or shortened.last_img read more

INDOT to open I-74/SR 3 bridge on Friday

first_imgGREENSBURG, Ind. — The Indiana Department of Transportation plans to open all lanes and ramps at the State Road 3 and Interstate 74 interchange on Friday (12/9).The concrete barrier walls were removed on Thursday.Traffic at the bridge had been restricted to a single lane in each direction since early April.The main work has been completed. In the spring, crews will return to remove the temporary crossover lanes, landscape, and complete final tasks.last_img

UCB Aurora receives donation for kindness

first_imgAURORA, Ind. — United Community Bank in Aurora recently received an anonymous note from a customer in their night deposit box.The note was a thank you letter for kindness that was given to the customer by the team.The customer explained in the letter that they are going through a tough situation and mentioned that a family member is battling addiction, and the kindness from the staff at UCB made their day better.Inside the note was a monetary gift that was designated for the team to have a pizza party as a thank you, but the team instead agreed to “Pay It Forward,” by giving the money to the Citizens Against Substance Abuse.last_img read more

Ribbon cutting for music garden at Falls of the Ohio SP

first_imgClarksville, IN—An official ribbon cutting to celebrate the opening of the new PNC Music Garden at Falls of the Ohio State Park will be held at the park on Tuesday, Nov. 12, at 10 a.m.The park will serve as host of the event. One Southern Indiana will lead the proceedings. The PNC Music Garden features outdoor musical instruments arranged in a circle in the grassy, tree-covered picnic area at the front entrance of the park. It was designed by Chris Fry from Play Pros of Kentucky and Indiana.The Falls of the Ohio Foundation received a $49,958 grant from the PNC Foundation to build the PNC Music Garden. Receipt of this grant was facilitated by former Falls of the Ohio Foundation executive director Dani Cummins.The Falls of the Ohio State Park Interpretive Center is open Monday-Saturday from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and Sunday from 1-5 p.m. Admission fees are $9 for adults (age 12 and older) and $7 for children (ages 5-11). Children younger than age 5 are free.last_img read more

‘Doosra’ Trailer Brings Back Memories of NatWest win Against England

first_imgMumbai: It was a moment of victory, pride, revenge and emotional freedom when the Indian cricket team clinched the NatWest trophy in 2002. And director Abhinay Deos sports drama “Doosra — Indias Other Freedom Struggle” brings back the memories of the victory, and aims to take the audience on an emotional journey.The trailer, released on Friday, gives a sneak peek into the story of “Doosra…”, and how the moment changed an entire generation.It was on July 13, 2002 when the then cricket captain Sourav Ganguly and his young team won the NatWest Trophy final at Lord’s Cricket Ground in London. They defeated England in the final match of the three-nation tournament.Ganguly had waived his T-shirt at the Lord’s balcony following the win — an image which is still fresh in the minds of all the cricket lovers in India. It was an apparent dig at England cricketer Andrew Flintoff’s shirt off moment at the Wankhede Stadium the same year.The trailer starts with a shot of the cricket stadium and loud cheers, and dedicates the first 30 seconds to the final moments of the match and anticipation leading to the win. IANS Also Read: England Take On Arch-Rivals Australia In Crucial World Cup Tielast_img read more

First archery world ranking event since Covid lockdown in Oct

first_imgLAUSANNE: The first world ranking archery event since the Covid-19 pandemic brought the sport to a halt is scheduled to be held in Antalya in Turkey in October.Antalya was the first venue to bid for an event. A long-time host of international archery competitions, the city was due to stage the European Championships and — after Shanghai’s early postponement — a stage of the Archery World Cup in 2020. This year’s international tour was ultimately cancelled due to ongoing travel and event restrictions. But world ranking events were permitted to restart from September 1 as part of the #BacktoArchery campaign and a steady, safe return to competition. According to the World Archery’s website, a minimum of four countries must attend the tournament for the world ranking status to be upheld. The shortened schedule focuses on individual events and the finals will be streamed live on World Archery’s digital platforms. Mandatory health restrictions from local authorities and the new event guidelines published by World Archery will also be observed. The invitation package is now available and registration is open from August 17 until September 21. IANS ALSO WATCH: BREAKFAST NEWS | 17 AUG, 2020last_img read more

Chelsea extend lead at top with draw at Liverpool

first_imgCHELSEA had to settle for a draw against a much-improved Liverpool at Anfield yesterday after Diego Costa’s late penalty was saved by Simon Mignolet – but still extended their lead at top of the Premier League to nine points.Liverpool keeper Mignolet made amends for his first-half embarrassment when he had been caught off guard by David Luiz’s superb free-kick from 25 yards.Georginio Wijnaldum’s close-range header 11 minutes after the break gave Liverpool a draw they fully deserved, ending a run of three successive home losses, two of which knocked them out of the EFL Cup and the FA Cup.However, it could have been much better for Chelsea and worse for Liverpool when Costa went to ground under challenge from Joel Matip 14 minutes from the end. Referee Mark Clattenburg pointed to the spot but Mignolet dived low to his right to save the Spain striker’s spot-kick.Roberto Firmino wasted Liverpool’s best two chances, shooting high over an open goal and heading straight at Thibaut Courtois in the closing seconds.HONOURS EVEN – BUT CONTE CELEBRATESChelsea manager Antonio Conte disguised his disappointment about Costa’s late penalty being saved by Mignolet with his reaction at the final whistle.The Italian knew Chelsea would be facing a wounded Liverpool after those three damaging defeats – and he clearly saw this as one point won rather than two lost as he went straight to the visiting fans and pumped his fists in delight.The Blues were not at their best and yet showed the resilience and compactness of old as they were dominated in possession but kept Liverpool at arm’s length for most of the game.And in N’Golo Kante they had the game’s outstanding performer, perpetual motion and first to every loose ball in midfield and at both ends of the pitch.Costa had an off night, including squandering the penalty, but Chelsea found answers elsewhere and carried a threat of their own after Pedro came on as a late substitute.Chelsea may only return to London with a point, but results elsewhere for Arsenal and Tottenham made this a good night for the Premier League leaders.KLOPP THWARTS RIVALS AGAINLiverpool manager Jurgen Klopp had endured his worst week since arriving at Anfield in October 2015 with the Premier League defeat by Swansea City, the EFL Cup semi-final loss to Southampton and the FA Cup fourth-round humiliation against Championship side Wolves.The German, however, has proved his mettle against his closest Premier League rivals – and once again he emerged unbeaten to maintain his excellent record against Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham since his appointment.This draw means that he has played 15 league games against that group, winning six, drawing eight and losing only one – a home defeat by United last season.Liverpool’s hopes of a first title since 1990 are receding as they are 10 points behind Chelsea – but there was plenty for Klopp to be happy about.This was more like the high-intensity Liverpool of the early months of the season, although their play lacks subtlety at times as they seem to get carried away by the emotion of the crowd, as well as their animated manager in his technical area.And further good news was the sight of leading scorer Sadio Mane, who has nine league goals, coming on as a substitute after his return from Africa Cup of Nations duty with Senegal.(BBC Sport).last_img read more

TENNIS : Safdar turns in dominant performance to help SU to victory over Red Storm

first_imgKomal Safdar drove Joanna Zwirbulis deeper and deeper behind the baseline with devastating groundstrokes until she finally coughed up a short, looping backhand.The Syracuse freshman promptly sent an overhead smash to the forehand corner, ending her No. 2 singles match.‘Once I moved her around from side to side and got into rallies I ended up winning the points,’ Safdar said.The freshman carried out countless points in the same fashion as she stormed to a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Zwirbulis of St. John’s at the Drumlins Tennis Center on Friday night. The singles match lasted only 48 minutes as Safdar out-hit, out-ran and outplayed her opposition, much like her Syracuse teammates as the Orange defeated the Red Storm (0-1, 0-1 Big East) 7-0. Safdar also partnered with senior captain Emily Harman in an 8-6 win in No. 1 doubles.SU (2-2, 1-1) beat Buffalo (1-2) 7-0 on the road Sunday to improve to .500 on the season.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSafdar committed very few errors against Zwirbulis and focused on keeping the ball in play. The freshman struggled with her consistency in her match against Texas Christian’s No. 114 Olivia Smith, falling 6-0, 6-0.The TCU match was Safdar’s first after missing the season opener against South Florida due to a wrist injury.‘Basically, last week I think I beat myself. I made a lot of errors,’ Safdar said. ‘… This week, I went more into lockdown mode, and I made sure that if I lost that she would beat me, not off my errors.’While playing a clean match, Safdar was also aggressive throughout. She served and volleyed early and often, attacking the match and making the points and the court shorter for Zwirbulis.Safdar said she used the tactic to mix up the pace of the match, but it also had a clear effect on her opponent.With Safdar having quickly jumped out to a 4-1 lead, Zwirbulis looked down both mentally and physically, mishitting a number of simple groundstrokes and displaying far less energy than the ever-active Safdar. After only 24 minutes, Safdar won the first set.Safdar’s night, however, did not start nearly as well as it ended in her singles match.Partnering with Harman, Safdar struggled early with her net play. Syracuse’s No. 1 doubles pairing fell behind 1-3 to the St John’s team of Nevena Selakovic and Diamond Adams. Safdar even crucially lost her first service game.‘We got down a break pretty quickly. I lost my serve, but me and Emily, we stayed with it,’ Safdar said.As the match progressed Safdar became visibly more comfortable as she and Harman found their way to the net with increasing ease. Safdar executed a number of crucial midcourt shots as she and Harman began to implement a serve-and-volley style that wore away at Selakovic and Adams’s once-commanding hold on the match.The tandem’s constant movement, during and between points, took a toll on the opposition. Selakovic rushed several serves, resulting in a number of double-faults that let Safdar and Harman back into the match. Trailing 5-6, the Orange pair regularly got to the net with a combination of speed and power that overwhelmed the St. John’s doubles team.Harman said Safdar’s athleticism and knowledge of the game make her an effective partner on the court.‘She’s awesome to play with, you know. If she sees something, she tells me. If I see something, then I tell her,’ Harman said.And that chemistry helped them win the last three games of the match to give Syracuse a clean sweep of the doubles matches.Safdar carried that momentum into her singles match, in which she cruised to victory over Zwirbulis.Head coach Luke Jensen said that Safdar is very easy to coach, noting her ability to dissect opponents like a professional. Safdar exposed numerous weaknesses in Zwirbulis on her way to winning in dominant fashion.‘She’s an all-court player,’ Jensen said. ‘She truly is kind of the Roger Federer of our team.’jmklinge@syr.edu Comments Published on January 29, 2012 at 12:00 pm Contact Jacob: jmklinge@syr.edu | @Jacob_Klinger_center_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Finding a match

first_imgTrojan Knights and USC Helenes held their annual “Swab to Save a Life” bone marrow drive Monday at Tommy Trojan. This year’s event, which adds students to the national Bone Marrow Registry that matches potential donors with victims of Blood Cancer and other diseases, added 215 new people to the registry.last_img

FAZE Apparel sues FaZe Clan over trademark infringement

first_imgFAZE Apparel, a clothing company based in San Francisco, is suing North American esports organisation FaZe Clan over an alleged trademark infringement on apparel.The grounds of the infringement is the use of the word “Faze” that can be seen throughout FaZe Clan’s range of clothing, according to ESPN.On May 22nd, district judge R. Gary Klauser granted a preliminary injunction on FaZe Clan that prevents the organisation selling any merchandise that displays the word “Faze” without “Clan” following in close proximity on the item of clothing – this stands until the dispute is solved.The lawsuit is entirely based on the trademark for “Faze”, which was filed by FAZE Apparel in March 2013 and approved by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in June 2014. The report states that the clothing company is aiming to receive treble damages, attorney fees, and enhanced statutory counterfeiting damages that could amount up to $2,000,000 (£1,498,520) per counterfeit mark.FaZe Clan registered for trademarks of “FaZe” and “FaZe Clan Sniping With” for use on clothing. The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office refused both attempts due to the chance of them being misconstrued with FAZE apparel’s trademark. The organisation’s registration for trademarking “FaZe Clan” for videos, video games, and apparel, was finally approved in September 2015.The report from ESPN later cites that FaZe Clan attempted to work a licensing deal out with FAZE Apparel in February last year, but an agreement was never reached.Esports Insider says: This is the second high-profile story revolving around such legal processes in the esports industry in just a week – following PUBG Corp.’s attempt to sue Fortnite – but this one seems a tad more realistic. If trademarks are in place but FaZe Clan has tried to work around them, then we’re not surprised that this has come out of it.Sign up to our newsletter!last_img read more