ST JOHN’S, Antigua (CMC):Legendary former fast bowler Sir Andy Roberts has held out little hope for West Indies in their upcoming three-Test series against Australia starting next week Down Under.The 64-year-old said the regional side had “no chance”, and argued that with the poor standard of regional cricket, the young players would struggle to make their mark against a superior Australia side with the advantage of home conditions.”We have no chance, because we do not believe in personal development,” Sir Andy told the Observer newspaper here.”When you look at the standard of cricket in the region and somebody scores a double-hundred, you have to say this double-hundred deserves 50 or 100 instead of a double-hundred.”He continued: “All the youngsters we have brought in, from Shane Dowrich and Shai Hope, people are saying how good they are but when you look at them at the international level against the Sri Lankan attack, against the English attack down here, and even the Australian attack down here – it’s going to be a lot more difficult in Australia because the ball bounces a lot more in Australia and swings a lot more in some instances.”Drew England seriesWest Indies drew 1-1 in the three-Test series against England in May, earlier this year, and were swept 2-0 by Australia a month later – both at home.Last month, they were hammered 2-0 away to Sri Lanka, in another disappointing outing.West Indies have struggled in their only tour match which is currently ongoing in Brisbane, and are facing an innings defeat on Saturday’s final day.They have not won a Test in Australia in 18 years, and have failed to beat the long-standing rivals in a Test period since 2003.West Indies face Australia in the first Test in Hobart starting December 10.
Ronald Martinez/Getty Images/AFPLAS VEGAS — UFC fighter Johnny Walker says he dislocated his left shoulder while doing the Worm to celebrate his first-round knockout victory at UFC 235.The Brazilian light heavyweight followed up his latest highlight-reel victory with an injury that left him embarrassed but smiling Saturday night.ADVERTISEMENT Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Huge victory Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Rogue cops marked as Gamboa’s targets in his appointment as PNP chief Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history LATEST STORIES Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil View comments MOST READ Walker (17-3) earned his third stoppage victory in four months with a spectacular flying knee, stopping Misha Cirkunov just 36 seconds into their bout.The entertaining fighter then purposely dropped face-first onto the canvas to begin his breakdancing move. Walker quickly stopped and rolled over in pain when he realized he had hurt his shoulder.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsWalker’s injury didn’t stop him from celebrating with his coaches and asking fans to follow him on Instagram during his post-fight interview. Eugenie Bouchard’s bid for Australian Open spot ends in qualifying Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title
Randy Barrack, 43, of Lot 34 Albouys Street, Albouystown was on Friday placed on $100,000 bail by Georgetown Magistrate Leron Daly after he appeared before her to answer to two counts of assault and a simple larceny charge.Barrack denied all three of the charges when it was read to him. It is alleged that on July 2, 2018, with intent to prevent lawful apprehension, Barrack assaulted Police Constables Mark Griffith and Ryan Pollard.According to the prosecution’s case, the constables had gone to Barrack’s home to arrest him in connection with an alleged robbery committed on Cindy Ramnaresh. In the process of making the arrest, Barrack reportedly refused to be arrested, and dealt the constables several lashes instead.Police Prosecutor Sanj Singh objected to Barrack being placed on bail, telling the court that Barrack had previously been arraigned on a charge of possession of firearm without being the holder of a licence thereof.Barrack’s attorney, however, explained that on the day of the incident, his client was mourning the loss of a family member, and had asked the constables for some time. The constables, nevertheless, became outraged and began to forcefully arrest Barrack. He said it was during that time that a scuffle broke out between the men, and the constables were allegedly assaulted.The simple larceny matter against Barrack was discharged after the virtual complainant refused to give evidence. The Police prosecutor, however, asked that the parties involved in this matter pay a $10,000 fine for wasting the court’s time.Barrack was eventually placed on $100,000 bail for the assault charges, and the matters were set to continue later in July.
…Venezuelans, Cubans identified as top TIP victimsHuman trafficking continues to rear its ugly head in Guyana, with Region Four (Demerara-Mahaica) being identified as the main area in the country where this scourge occurs with the highest incidences of alleged exploitation of foreign nationals.This is according to the Ministerial Task Force on Trafficking In Persons (TIP), which recently stated that between the period of January last and March 2019, various operations by ranks of the Guyana Police Force (GPF) resulted in the discovery of 215 alleged TIP Venezuelan victims, 49 Cuban TIP victims and 14 Dominican victims.Venezuelans ranked the highest out of the lot of foreigners who allegedly suffered from exploitation in Region Four.The Ministerial Task Force on TIP also pointed out that as a result of the influx of non-nationals during last year, large numbers of Venezuelans flocked the shores of Guyana to seek refuge from the crisis their country was and is still battling with.Guyana Times understands that in light of Venezuelans accounting for the largest population of foreigners coming to Guyana and trying to sustain their livelihoods, this resulted in them being the highest numbers on the TIP scale in Guyana.According to the Task Force’s release, last year alleged victims of TIP totalled 245.Of this total, 162 were from Venezuela, 49 from Cuba, 21 were from Guyana and 10 were from the Dominican Republic. The remaining alleged victims were from Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica and Brazil.Meanwhile, from January to March of this year, the operations conducted by the GPF, countrywide, unearthed 67 alleged victims of TIP.Fifty-three were Venezuelans, 10 were Guyanese and four were Dominicans.However, despite public concerns about the influx of Haitians into Guyana, the Task Force noted that no reports have surfaced about those nationals that are in Guyana being involved in TIP.“While it is understood that Trafficking In Persons is a crime that can be perpetrated by anyone and that anyone can be a victim, the Task Force is also cognisant of the risk factors associated with this crime. However, the Ministerial Task Force on Trafficking In Persons has not received any recent reports or discovered any incidents where Haitians coming to Guyana are victims or perpetrators of Trafficking In Persons. With the aforementioned influx of non-nationals, Venezuelans accounted for the majority of alleged victims in Guyana for 2018 and the early parts of 2019,” the Task Force stated.The TIP Task Force further stated that training exercises in Victim Identification and Referral with immigration officers who manage and operate at various ports-of-entry and other locations in Guyana have also been conducted to ensure that the fight against TIP is intensified.Additionally, the Task Force in collaboration with the individual efforts of Task Force Member Agencies is appealing to the public that if anyone has information on alleged activities related to trafficking or suspected trafficking to report it to any law enforcement agency so that perpetrators can be apprehended.
TELUS is working to restore telephone service to about 1,100 customers in the Montney area who lost service around 10:00 a.m.TELUS technicians in the area are tracing the source of the outage, and suspect it is related to storm activity in the region.Local emergency operations have been notified and are taking the appropriate measures.- Advertisement -TELUS thanks its customers for their patience and will provide an update when more information is known.
For more on this story, pick up tomorrow’s Whittier Daily News. 165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SACRAMENTO — Whittier-area state Sen. Ron Calderon’s bill to move up the presidential primary to February next year — from the current June — was approved by a key committee today. SB113 was approved 3-0 by the Senate Elections, Reapportionment and Constitutional Amendments Committee, which Calderon chairs. The bill, which looks to be on a fast-track for approval, now moves to the Senate Appropriations Committee, where it is expected to get a hearing Thursday. It could go to the full Senate floor for a vote by as early as Tuesday. Calderon said his bill will give California the political clout it long has deserved. “California is the biggest state in the union, and yet its June primary ensures the major primary nominee will be determined long before the state casts its ballots,” said Calderon, D-Montebello. “California voters deserve to play a major role in deciding the presidential nominations.”
Donegal County Council is pursuing members of the public and developers who have carried out development on foot of a grant of planning permission and have not paid charges.The outstanding payments are now being pursued by the Councils Development Charges Legal Proceedings Unit.The Council has set up a dedicated Development Charges-Legal Proceedings Unit to deal with cases where payments are still outstanding and are advising members of the public including developers that arrangements to pay outstanding contributions must be made immediately (where agreements are not currently in place), in order to avoid further interest being incurred on the outstanding balances and legal action being initiated against debtors. Failure to pay outstanding contributions will result in the matter being pursued by the Council’s legal office to recover outstanding charges as a simple contract debt in the relevant Courts.In such cases the Council’s legal office will seek a Court Order against outstanding debtors, including any legal costs that will be incurred and pursue all avenues open to ensure the prompt collection of the principal amount, including interest.These actions may involve –• referring the outstanding debt to the Sheriffs Office to collect all amounts due and to seize, in default, appropriate goods to satisfy the amounts owing and/or • the making of an application to the District Court for an instalment Order which may require the debtors attendance in court to be cross-examined to disclose financial means, before the Court decides on the level of the instalment order and/or• the registration of the judgement in Court which will lead to publication of debtors names and addresses in Stubbs Gazette and/or• the registration of a judgement as a mortgage against property of the debtor.To avoid the above imminent legal action and the associated claims for interest, penalties and legal costs, members of the public and developers should contact the Council’s Development Charges-Legal Proceedings Unit immediately on 074 9172307, Monday to Friday 9.00 – 12.30 & 1.00 – 4.30pm. COUNCIL TO SUE PEOPLE FOR NON-PAYMENT OF DEVELOPMENT CHARGES was last modified: November 13th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:development chargesDonegal County Council
The school provides spiritual, physical, cognitive and social experiences at the developmental level for the preschool child. For more information, call (562) 699-7431, Ext. 203. Casino night will benefit musicians WHITTIER – Friends of the East Whittier Middle School Instrumental Music Program will host a fundraiser to pay for new musical instruments and uniforms and repairs and maintenance on old ones. The casino night fund-raiser will be held from 7 to 11 p.m. Nov. 18 at the Ritz Gardens, 11201 First Ave. Gold sponsors can donate $1,000, Silver sponsors give $500 and Bronze sponsors donate $250. However, donations of any amount are welcomed. For more information, call (562) 944-4766. Classes of ’34, ’35 to stage reunion WHITTIER – The class graduates of 1934 and 1935 will celebrate their 70th and 71st anniversaries of graduation from Whittier Union High School with a buffet luncheon from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 12 at the Independent Order Odd Fellows Building at Comstock and Wardman Street. The cost is $30 per person, with reservations due by Wednesday. Graduates from other 1930s classes are welcome to attend. Checks can be made payable to: Reunion Committee WUHS Class of 35 c/o Arlene Boatright, 6021 S. Altmark Ave., Whittier, CA 90601-3806. For more information, call Arlene Boatright at (562) 698-2844 or Monte Wicker at (562) 693-5198. Woodworkers to meet Thursday WHITTIER – The Woodworkers of Whittier will hold their monthly meeting at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Adventure County Park, 10130 S. Gunn Ave. Woodworkers of all skills are welcome. Meetings are free of charge and refreshments are made available. A raffle will be held. For more information, call (562) 693-5762. -From staff reports160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WHITTIER – California Brass Consort will perform at 4 p.m. Nov. 13 at First Friends Church of Whittier, 13205 Philadelphia St. The program includes music by Bach, Mouret and Brahms. Members of the Brass Consort perform regularly with the Los Angeles Philharmonic, Pacific Symphony and San Diego Symphony. Admission is free. For more information, call (562) 698-9805. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Vendors sought or craft fair PICO RIVERA – Vendors looking to sell homemade wares or commercial products can now reserve booth space for the city’s 11th annual Winter Wonderland Craft Fair, set for Dec. 3 at the Pico Park Community Center, 9528 Beverly Blvd. For information, call (562) 801-4470. Trinity Preschool opens enrollment WHITTIER – Trinity Lutheran Preschool in Whittier is enrolling for the 2005-2006 school year.
McKinleyville >> In a game that was close from the opening tip to the final buzzer, the St. Bernard’s Academy girls basketball team got 32 points from standout senior Makenna Schoenhofer and survived multiple comeback attempts to outlast a McKinleyville, 65-59, Wednesday evening at McKinleyville HIgh School. The Crusaders (7-3 overall) had a lead as high as 12 points and four double-digit leads in the game, but couldn’t put away a young and resilient Panthers team until the final minute.“Credi …