Information ministry bans 61 newspapers

first_img Reporters Without Borders calls on the information ministry to rescind two new decrees, one on 18 August declaring 75 newspapers defunct for failing to publish for the past three years, and one on 20 August banning 61 other newspapers on the grounds that they have no legal existence.Signed by information minister Lambert Mende Omalanga, the decrees are being fiercely criticized by the Democratic Republic of Congo’s media community. Citing article 16 of the 1996 press law, the first decree declares that 75 newspapers have ceased to exist because they have not brought out any issue for three years. The second decree, citing article 22 of the same law, declares that 61 newspapers “have no (legal) title allowing them to operate in the Democratic Republic of Congo and therefore do not exist as press organs.”Reached by Reporters Without Borders, the owners of several publications named in the decrees insisted that they did not meet the criteria for being banned, either because they have continued to publish issues during the past three years, or because they have a receipt showing that they are duly registered.It should nonetheless be acknowledged that some of the newspapers named in the 18 August decree have ceased to publish altogether or appear only sporadically and usually in the form of – often very politicized – pamphlets rather than real newspapers.“We prefer to regard this as an information ministry gaffe rather than a censorship attempt,” said Reporters Without Borders. “Nonetheless, it is important that the Congolese authorities should not use bureaucratic pretexts to harass the media, as they are doing here.“It is also questionable whether the ministry has the power to ban newspapers. This should be a matter for the regulatory authorities or, if appropriate, the courts. We call on the ministry to rescind these decrees at once and to allow the newspapers to continue publishing.”In response to the outcry from the media community, including the NGO Journalist in Danger, the information ministry has given the named publications 45 days to comply or to produce the required documents. However, the deadline extension only concerns those that owe back taxes or have not published for three years.Under the 1996 press law, newspapers must register but do not need a permit to publish. The DRC has several hundred publications, some of which appear very occasionally, and do not meet the criteria expected of a newspaper.The DRC is ranked 151st out of 180 countries in the 2014 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. Reporter jailed in DRC for allegedly defaming parliamentarian February 18, 2021 Find out more August 25, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Information ministry bans 61 newspapers to go further Help by sharing this information Journalist arrested on provincial governor’s orders News RSF_en Follow the news on Democratic Republic of Congo Receive email alerts Democratic Republic of CongoAfrica News Democratic Republic of CongoAfrica Organisation News News Another 75 are declared defunct for failing to publish regularly February 24, 2021 Find out more Congolese reporter wounded by gunshot while covering protest in Goma February 16, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Hoboken to introduce $113.2M budget

first_imgHOBOKEN — The city said it will introduce a $113.2 million municipal budget at the next City Council meeting with a slight (1.25 percent) reduction in the municipal tax rate. A release said that the reduction is because they will ask for the same tax levy this year and last year (the amount of property taxes to collect from residents). but because of an increasing ratable base — or more taxable properties pitching in — each person’s rate goes down.“Since becoming mayor, we have worked with the City Council to restore fiscal discipline and hold the line on taxes, and I’m pleased that this year’s budget will provide a modest municipal tax cut,” said Mayor Dawn Zimmer. “Together, we have passed fully-funded, gimmick-free budgets, restored a responsible budget surplus, and improved our credit rating to AA+ from its near junk bond rating.” A property owner’s total tax bill includes three main components: municipal, school, and county taxes, along with smaller components for the library, municipal open space, and county open space. × In 2016, municipal purposes taxes made up approximately 31 percent of total property taxes while county taxes composed 40 percent and school taxes were 24 percent.The budget has to be introduced at a council meeting. Officials and the public can make suggestions. The council will then take a final vote on at a subsequent meeting after a public hearing. Additionally, a series of budget workshops will be hosted on March 27, March 29, and April 3.The 2017 budget can be viewed at www.hobokennj.gov/docs/businessadmin/CY17BudgetIntroduced.pdf.last_img read more

Man U agree Ighalo new loan deal

first_imgOdion Ighalo is winning his battle to remain at Manchester United after agreeing a new loan deal.The Nigerian international is poised to extend his stay at Old Trafford until January 2021 after United agreed to pay a revised loan fee to Shanghai Shenhua. Ighalo, 30, joined United in January from the Chinese Super League outfit and the terms of the original deal had been due to expire tonight.Shenhua bosses had been keen to have Ighalo back in China for the start of the new season next month.But travel restrictions and quarantine rules amid the coronavirus crisis along with Ighalo’s strong desire to remain with United longer, persuaded them to soften their stance and agree to extend the loan period.Ighalo’s agent Atta Aneke said: “We are nearing agreement with Manchester United on an extended loan.“The agreement will mean that Ighalo will remain with them until January 2021.” Ighalo has been a big success since joining United, scoring four goals in eight appearances before the season was suspended due to COVID-19.Ighalo’s current contract in China expires in December 2022, but Shenhua bosses have offered him a new deal worth more than £450,000-a-week.United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admitted last week he wanted to keep Ighalo, and hoped he would go on to help his side win some silverware this season.He said: “They’ve been great towards us, his club, allowing him to play. It’s been a dream for him.“Hopefully he can finish off what he started, maybe with a trophy or two.” The ex-Watford ace surprised many with his impressive displays in a red shirt during February and March.And Solskjaer did not want to lose his back-up frontman with plenty to play for when the football season restarts, including United’s pursuit of Champions League qualification.Marcus Rashford is back fit now and will be available come June 17 when games begin again.But Ighalo is a useful option to have, especially as the fixture calendar will be congested for several weeks.RelatedPosts Martins joins Wuhan Zall Ighalo: My best moment as ‘Red Devil’ EPL: Crystal Palace stun sloppy Man U Ighalo will ultimately remain with United for around half of next season, although the start date of the 2020/21 campaign is unclear as yet.The likely aim is to have a shortened summer break off the back of the two-and-a-half-month interruption, meaning the Premier League could be back underway next term as soon as late September.That would allow for less disruption to next season’s schedule ahead of Euro 2020 and the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo finally taking place next summer.Tags: Chinese Super LeagueManchester UnitedMarcus RashfordOdion IghaloOle Gunnar SolksjaerShanghai Shenhualast_img read more

Piacentini ties all-time Syracuse record with 8th consecutive game with point

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ After weeks of anchoring Syracuse’s offense, forward Melissa Piacentini soared into the Orange record books this weekend against rival Mercyhurst. With her team facing a two-goal deficit late in the second period on Saturday afternoon, she fought to position herself well in Laker territory. Nicole Renault quickly fired a pass over to Piacentini, who didn’t hesitate when getting the puck in her hands.Piacentini didn’t attempt to show off her ability to score at will. Instead, she sent the puck over to Margot Scharfe, who executed on the open lane en route to a goal.“Melissa kind of chipped the puck so it ran on my stick,” Scharfe said. “And I tried to have a little patience to put it in.”Piacentini’s assist extended her point streak to eight consecutive games. That ties the longest streak in the program’s history, which was first set by Isabel Menard in 2009-10.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textWhen asked about the new milestone, Piacentini was satisfied with the streak. But with Syracuse (14-11-2, 6-6-2 College Hockey America) losing the weekend series against Mercyhurst (17-7-3, 10-3-1 CHA) — 3-2 on Friday and 2-1 on Saturday — her recent success was put on the back burner. “It’s great, but I have to put it away when it really matters, like at the end of the game today,” Piacentini said.Piacentini also capped off a new program record when scoring a goal on Friday night, extending her streak to seven consecutive games with a goal scored. With the Orange trailing 2-0 in the second period, Piacentini’s style of play matched the toughness provided by the Mercyhurst defense. She found an open spot near Lakers’ goalie Amanda Makela, which put her in an ideal position to receive the oncoming puck from Allie LaCombe.That provided her with the chance to launch the puck past Makela and provide the Orange with the opportunity to compete down the stretch. While Piacentini’s goal streak ended on Saturday, head coach Paul Flanagan was pleased with her taking the record.“She’s been pretty consistent,” Flanagan said. “For her, that gives you confidence to feel you can go out and not only get one every night, but now you can get hungry and go out and get a couple (goals).”This record-tying streak by Piacentini is a product of her consistent effort. She has emerged as the most consistent offensive threat during the past month for the Orange.Scharfe said that Piacentini deserves all of the accolades as a result of her hard work.“It’s great. I’m really happy for Tini,’” Scharfe said. “Every game she works hard and she deserves the recognition.”As Piacentini earned the two different records over the weekend, her personality on and off the ice did not change at any point of either game. But individual performance does not trump the overall success of the team in her mind, especially with a month remaining in the regular season.Julie Knerr wasn’t aware of the program records that Piacentini matched over the weekend, based on her teammate’s calm attitude about the recent success. Knerr is hopeful that Piacentini will carry over the recent momentum into the last few weeks of the year.“It’s awesome for her, and it doesn’t even faze her at all,” Knerr said. “She doesn’t even show that she has that streak. We’re pumped for her and want her to keep it going. “It’s pretty cool for one of our teammates to do it that way.” Comments Published on February 3, 2014 at 2:50 amlast_img read more

Tackle box, valuable fishing equipment stolen at LaMarre Park

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisAlpena — A fishing tackle box valued at over $3,000 was stolen from a car on Friday evening at LaMarre Park but this wasn’t just any old tackle box.If you’ve been to the Brown Trout Festival, you’ve probably seen the ‘Fish Doctor,’ hoisting up the day’s catch at weigh in. His name is Roger Barc, an avid fisherman known by many throughout the community. He’s been fishing before he could walk. You’ll see a couple of his lines out at LaMarre Park, usually with friends.Roger and his nephew Ernest Butterfield hit the edge of the water on Friday evening around 5:00pm with some folks. The group fished until about 8:45pm. Roger left his 50lb tackle box in his green Jeep, parked about 20ft or so away from where they were fishing. A ramp obstructs the view to the parking area.“We got done fishing,” said Barc. “We came up with the cooler, put the cooler in the truck and I asked my nephew, I said “Where’s my tackle box?”After searching, the conclusion became evident, the tackle box was stolen. Barc left his Jeep unlocked like many do in that area when casting out. It was a shock to the party because Barc and his love for fishing are well-known along the Thunder Bay River.“The idea of it, I mean you’re sitting right here and somebody just comes and steals it out of your car, I mean come on,” said Nephew Ernest Butterfield.The Alpena City Police Department is aware of the situation. A few of the officers even fish with Barc from time to time. The thief or thieves can return the tackle box to Clem’s Bait and Tackle in Alpena with no questions asked. The items in the box represented more than just handy tools for the ‘Fish Doctor.’“People that walk up and take things…they don’t know what they are also taking,” said Barc. “They’re taking memories and stuff you can’t replace.” AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: alpena, Alpena Police Department, Crime, Equipment, Ernest Butterfield, Family, Fish Doctor, Fishing Tackle Box, LaMarre Park, Lures, Roger Barc, Theft, ThiefContinue ReadingPrevious Team River Fitness shatters canoe racing recordNext What’s Trending for August 13last_img read more

SANTA ANITA WINTER MEET WAGERING MENU INCLUDES ENHANCED PICK SIX, LOW TAKEOUT WIN, PLACE & SHOW WAGERING AS WELL AS POPULAR 50 CENT PLAYERS PICK FIVE BEGINNING OPENING DAY, DEC. 26

first_imgSanta Anita will offer a $1 million guaranteed all-stakes Late Pick 4 on Opening Day, Dec. 26. ARCADIA, Calif. (Dec. 23, 2016)–Santa Anita’s Winter Meet, which opens Monday, Dec. 26, will offer fans a comprehensive pari-mutuel betting menu that will include an enhanced Pick Six with a Single Ticket Jackpot component. Seventy percent of the pool will continue to be paid out to those with six winners, and the same 70 percent will be carried over in the event there are no tickets with six winners. Consolation tickets will now be paid with 15 percent of the remaining pool, while the remaining 15 percent will be allocated for a separate “jackpot,” which will be paid in the event of a single winning ticket. On a mandatory payout day, consolation payoffs will be made just as they ordinarily would on any other racing day.   Santa Anita will also continue to offer the nation’s lowest major track takeout of 15.43 percent on win, place and show wagers, as well as the popular 50 cent Players Pick Five, one dollar exactas, one dollar trifectas, two dollar rolling Daily Doubles, one dollar rolling Pick Threes, an early and late 50 cent Pick Four, a one dollar Super High Five and 10 cent Superfectas.Santa Anita’s 2016-17 Winter Meet Wagering Menu will offer the following:-$500,000 guaranteed Late Pick 4 each weekend (excluding Sun. Feb. 5)                -$300,000 guaranteed Late Pick 4 each weekday                -$100,000 guaranteed Pick 6 each weekend                -The 50 cent Players Pick 5. Comprised of races one through five, the Pick Five features a low takeout of 14 percent. If no one correctly selects all five winners, 100 percent of the net pool is carried over to the next racing day.                -Two dollar Win, Place & Show wagering on each race, featuring the lowest takeout (15.43 percent) of any major racetrack in the nation.                -One dollar Trifectas on each race (minimum of four runners required).                -10 cent Superfectas will be offered on all races (minimum of six horses scheduled to start).                -One dollar Exactas are offered on each race.                -The newly enhanced two dollar Pick Six will be offered on the final six races each day.                 -The 50 cent early Pick 4 will cover races two, three, four and five, each day. The Late Pick 4 will cover the final four races on each card.                -Rolling two dollar Daily Doubles, which feature a 20 percent takeout.                -One dollar rolling Pick Threes will be offered beginning with the first race each day.                -One dollar Super High Five, which requires bettors to correctly select the first five finishers in each day’s final race (minimum of eight runners) will again be offered. If no one selects the top five horses in exact finish order, 100 percent of the net pool carries over to the next day.                For more information on Santa Anita’s upcoming Winter Meet, please visit santaanita.com or call (626) 574-RACE.last_img read more

GIVEN TO PLAY IN CUP SEMI-FINAL AT WEMBLEY – THE DAY BEFORE HIS 39TH BIRTHDAY

first_imgTim Sherwood has confirmed Shay Given will start Aston Villa’s FA Cup semi-final against Liverpool at Wembley on Sunday.The veteran keeper turns 39 on Monday and will face the Reds this weekend to continue his comeback at the club.Given made just two league appearances under ex-manager Paul Lambert, although he has been Villa’s goalkeeper for the cups after losing his regular place to Brad Guzan in 2012. He was loaned out to Middlesbrough last season and failed to play a game for Villa.But Sherwood will put his faith in the Donegal man to help his side into the final.He said: “Shay plays. Absolutely. He’s done nothing wrong Shay, he’s a large part of the reason we’re in this semi-final.“The saves he made against Leicester were fantastic and at the right time. He trains fantastically well and he’s pushing Brad all the way for that No.1 spot.”  GIVEN TO PLAY IN CUP SEMI-FINAL AT WEMBLEY – THE DAY BEFORE HIS 39TH BIRTHDAY was last modified: April 17th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Aston VilladonegalLiffordLiverpoolShay Givenlast_img read more

Last day of Donegal Tile Centre’s massive clearance sale

first_imgDonegal Tile Centre’s massive Warehouse Clearance Sale ends today.Come along and see the fantastic offers in wall and floor tiles both in ceramic and porcelain ranging from € 3.95 per sq yrd and many at less than half price.For top-quality wall and floor Tiles at cash and carry prices come along to Donegal Tile Centre and pick up a real bargain today at Rossview Business Park, just off the Polestar Roundabout, Port Road, Letterkenny. Last day of Donegal Tile Centre’s massive clearance sale was last modified: July 20th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more