Analysts expect continued decline in European coal generation in 2020 FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Bloomberg:European coal faces another depressing year as natural gas floods the region and clean-energy policies reduce demand for the dirtiest fossil fuel.Coal use across seven European economies fell to historic lows last year, pushing benchmark rates down by almost a third to $62 a ton. The prospects for 2020 are looking equally bleak, with analysts from S&P Global Platts and Capital Economics predicting prices plunging to the $50 mark, the lowest in four years.It’s the latest indication that the economics for burning coal have collapsed in little more than a year since the commodity hit $100 a ton. Europe’s goal of zeroing out carbon emissions by the middle of the century along with ever-cheaper wind and solar power and falling gas prices all point to drastic reductions for generators that burn coal.“Although we saw coal generation pushed to minimum levels in the second half of 2019, it should fall again year-on-year in the first half of 2020 due to low gas and stable carbon pricing,” said Joe Aldina, S&P Global Platts’ head of coal analytics.For most of last decade it was more profitable to burn coal than gas in Germany, Europe’s biggest economy. That relationship was turned on its head last year as imports of liquefied natural gas and mild weather pushed down prices for the cleaner fuel, encouraging utilities to switch away from coal.The gas glut may worsen after last month’s deal between Russia and Ukraine to keep gas flowing to Europe. Construction of another direct route to Europe, the Nord Stream 2 pipeline to Germany, is expected to finish this year even though the U.S. imposed sanctions on the project.[Jeremy Hodges]More: Coal’s fortunes look bleak
FAZE Apparel, a clothing company based in San Francisco, is suing North American esports organisation FaZe Clan over an alleged trademark infringement on apparel.The grounds of the infringement is the use of the word “Faze” that can be seen throughout FaZe Clan’s range of clothing, according to ESPN.On May 22nd, district judge R. Gary Klauser granted a preliminary injunction on FaZe Clan that prevents the organisation selling any merchandise that displays the word “Faze” without “Clan” following in close proximity on the item of clothing – this stands until the dispute is solved.The lawsuit is entirely based on the trademark for “Faze”, which was filed by FAZE Apparel in March 2013 and approved by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in June 2014. The report states that the clothing company is aiming to receive treble damages, attorney fees, and enhanced statutory counterfeiting damages that could amount up to $2,000,000 (£1,498,520) per counterfeit mark.FaZe Clan registered for trademarks of “FaZe” and “FaZe Clan Sniping With” for use on clothing. The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office refused both attempts due to the chance of them being misconstrued with FAZE apparel’s trademark. The organisation’s registration for trademarking “FaZe Clan” for videos, video games, and apparel, was finally approved in September 2015.The report from ESPN later cites that FaZe Clan attempted to work a licensing deal out with FAZE Apparel in February last year, but an agreement was never reached.Esports Insider says: This is the second high-profile story revolving around such legal processes in the esports industry in just a week – following PUBG Corp.’s attempt to sue Fortnite – but this one seems a tad more realistic. If trademarks are in place but FaZe Clan has tried to work around them, then we’re not surprised that this has come out of it.Sign up to our newsletter!
APTN National NewsThe NDP lead by Tom Mulcair released their Aboriginal platform Wednesday at a special meeting organized by the Assembly of First Nations in Edmonton.All three party leaders were invited to the meeting but Mulcair was the only one to show up.While there, he address the assembly and promised a new relationship and cash to improve housing, education and water.APTN’s Dennis Ward [email protected]
The Canadian PressPrime Minister Justin Trudeau is set to exonerate six First Nations chiefs who were executed by British Columbia’s colonial government more than 150 years ago.Trudeau’s itinerary says he will “deliver a statement of exoneration” for the Tsilhqot’in chiefs in the House of Commons at 3 p.m.The warriors were hanged following a deadly confrontation with white road builders during the so-called “Chilcotin War of 1864.”After the workers were killed, five chiefs arrived at what they believed would be peace talks with government representatives. Instead, they were arrested, tried and hanged, and a sixth chief was executed the following year in New Westminster.The Tsilhqot’in have long disputed the government’s authority to execute the six chiefs as criminals, describing the confrontation as an altercation between warring nations.The B.C. government apologized for the executions in 1993 and installed a commemorative plaque at the site of the hangings.Indigenous Relations Minister Carolyn Bennett is scheduled to hold a press conference alongside the Tsilhqot’in Nation leadership today in Ottawa following the official exoneration.