Extrain engineer apologizes for his role in LacMegantic tragedy

first_imgSHERBROOKE, Que. – One of the three men acquitted of criminal negligence in the Lac-Megantic railway disaster is apologizing publicly for his role in the tragedy that killed 47 people.Tom Harding spoke to reporters today for the first time since he and two former railway colleagues were found not guilty last week.Richard Labrie, Jean Demaitre and Harding were each charged with criminal negligence causing the death of 47 people after a runaway train derailed and exploded in the small Quebec town on July 6, 2013.In a rare public statement since the tragedy, Harding says he is deeply sorry for his part in the disaster and assumes his responsibility.The Crown had argued that Harding’s role was significant because he didn’t apply a sufficient number of brakes after parking the convoy for the night.Harding’s defence team had argued his actions were not a marked departure from standard company procedures and therefore he couldn’t be held criminally responsible.“I do not find the words sufficient to express my sympathies,” Harding said. “I am deeply sorry for my part of responsibility in this tragedy. I assume this responsibility and I will always assume it.”last_img read more