Follow the news on India Reporters Without Borders appeals again to the Indian government to set up a national plan for the protection of journalists amid a continuing wave of physical attacks on media personnel. RSF_en Organisation July 22, 2015 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Renewed call for protection plan after third journalist murdered News News Help by sharing this information News RSF demands release of detained Indian journalist Siddique Kappan, hospitalised with Covid-19 Receive email alerts Raghavendra Dube, the 44-year-old owner and editor of Khushboo Ujala, a local weekly in Mumbai, the capital of the western state of Maharashtra, last week became the third Indian journalist to be murdered this year.His body was found near Mira Road police station, in a Mumbai suburb, at around 5:30 a.m. on 17 July, just half an hour after he left the police station, where he had been helping a police investigation into an attack on two other journalists. He was beaten and stabbed to death.Although the murder motive has yet to be determined, sources said he often helped the local police by informing them about bars that were operating illegally. The police investigating his murder have arrested several suspects.“We offer our heartfelt condolences to Raghavendra Dube’s family and colleagues,” said Benjamin Ismaïl, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Asia-Pacific desk. “The investigation into this barbaric murder must be thorough and transparent in order to shed light on all the circumstances and bring those responsible to justice.”“We reiterate our appeal to the Indian authorities to establish a national plan for the protection of journalists and other news providers in order to ensure the safety of those who contribute to the public debate in Indian society.”Dube’s murder appears to be linked to the previous evening’s attack on two other journalists, Mumbai Headlines reporter Santosh Mishra, 45, and Dabang Khabr reporter Shashi Sharma, 49. They were covering a police raid on a Mumbai suburb bar called the White House when they were attacked by around ten of the bar’s employees for photographing its owner, Ganesh Kamath. Four police officers, including an inspector, looked on without intervening, they said. Both journalists were hospitalized with serious injuries.Violence against journalists in India usually goes unpunished. Although an alarming number of journalists have been killed in connection with their coverage of corruption, politics, crime or other sensitive subjects, the government has yet to adopt any measures to protect media personnel.This year’s two other media murder victims were Jagendra Singh, allegedly killed by police officers because of his coverage of illegal activities by certain Uttar Pradesh state officials, and Sandeep Kothari, who was murdered in connection with his coverage of organized crime in Madhya Pradesh.Climate of violenceMany other media freedom violations, including physical attacks on journalists, continue to be reported.Manashree Pathak, a 24-year-old reporter for Marathi-language TV station ABP Majha, was verbally harassed and then physically attacked by a group of men while covering a deadly fire in Mumbai on 16 July. Her cameraman, Narayan Parmar, and two other ABP Majha journalists, Sachin Gaad and Shrikant Sankpal, were also hit when they tried to defend her.Katak TV reporter Satyajit Sen and his cameraman were beaten and their equipment was damaged by a railway security officer while they were covering a protest by the passengers of a train that had been delayed for several hours on 29 June.Uttar Pradesh journalist Haider Khan was beaten unconscious and then dragged behind a motorcycle for a hundred metres on 13 June after writing about questionable land expropriations.India’s journalists are favourite targets for all those opposed to freely and independently reported news and information. By repeatedly ignoring the need to protect journalists and by denying the current climate of violence, the federal government is just encouraging the enemies of media freedom.India is ranked 136th out of 180 countries in the 2015 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. March 3, 2021 Find out more IndiaAsia – Pacific to go further In rural India, journalists face choice between covering pandemic and survival IndiaAsia – Pacific June 10, 2021 Find out more (Logo : cartoon by Aseem Trivedi) India: RSF denounces “systemic repression” of Manipur’s media News April 27, 2021 Find out more
Previous articleParents struggling to meet school costsNext articleOpinion – Game Over, Ball Burst 10/8/13 John Keoghhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Twitter Emma Langford shortlisted for RTE Folk Award and playing a LIVE SHOW!!! this Saturday Facebook #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ NewsMixed feelings over M&S announcementBy John Keogh – August 8, 2013 602 TAGSM&SMusic LimerickParkway Valley Linkedin Advertisement Print Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick New Music: 40Hurtz Watch the streamed gig for Fergal Nash album launch Email THIS week’s announcement that M&S is set to open a flagship store on the site of the former Parkway Valley development has generated varying reactions among the city’s public representatives and business community.Limerick Chamber welcomed the move, which it said would “contribute to an enhanced retail provision in the region and reinforce Limerick as the largest retail centre in the Mid West”.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up However, Chamber CEO Maria Kelly said that the right location for the retail chain would be in Limerick city centre.“It is important to highlight that any development in the Parkway Valley is subject to planning consent and we understand that significant hurdles need to be overcome before anything can happen.”“With all the positive developments that are happening in Limerick, Marks & Spencer are right to be looking at locating a flagship store here but the right strategic move would be for M&S to locate in the city centre.”Ms Kelly pointed out that until the recent plans to develop Arthur’s Quay were finalised, the city did not have a suitable location to accommodate the retail chain.She concluded: “Limerick is an up and coming city that is going through an exciting transformation, we have a new and engaged management team in our joint local authority and an ambitious economic masterplan that sets out a vision for Limerick to 2030.“Therefore the Chamber would welcome and invite M&S to review all viable and potentially more attractive city centre sites in informing their locational decision.”Retail Excellence Ireland said it was disappointed that the flagship store will not be in Limerick city centre.REI Chief Executive David Fitzsimons said he hoped that M&S would change its plans.He added: “There are significant plans in place to revive Limerick City, including the redevelopment of the Arthur’s Quay Shopping Centre which will provide adequate space for retailers requiring a large retail footprint.“Limerick, like many towns and cities, has experienced significant out of town development and a town and city centre first approach is a priority. Retailers like M&S would add greatly to the city retail mix and we very much hope that the retailer reconsiders their plans.”Meanwhile, city councillor Joe Leddin said the decision was “a massive vote of confidence in Limerick and indeed the Mid West region providing a massive boost to the retail sector”.Regarding its location, the Labour councillor believes that there is “a huge opportunity” to locate the 72,000 square foot site in the city centre.“The redevelopment of the city depends on private sector investment and now we have a multinational retailer committed to Limerick. The recently published GVA report identified the area around and including Arthurs Quay Park as a prime site totally underdeveloped.He concluded: “The problem with locating large retail operations in the city is the lack of suitably sized units or buildings. Securing agreement from existing landowners in partnership with City Council and private investors may present an opportunity to redevelop this area of the city.” #HearThis: New music and video from Limerick rapper Strange Boy WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR
CHICAGO — The 2020 NBA All-Star break had a little bit of everything: touching tributes, exciting games and a controversial ending.Each evening was undoubtedly entertaining for the United Center crowds, and the atmosphere was consistently electric in the “Windy City.” However, a few people definitely didn’t leave the league’s annual showcase with All-Star smiles on their faces. Giannis BLOCKS LeBron 😤 #NBAAllStar pic.twitter.com/l9nsbMOoRi— NBA on TNT (@NBAonTNT) February 17, 2020Chaka KhanShe … did not receive rave reviews for this rendition of the national anthem. The Slam Dunk Contest judges gave it a 48 anyway to annoy Gordon. Before NBA teams return to normal regular season schedules, let’s break down the biggest winners and losers from All-Star weekend.MORE: Best highlights from 2020 All-Star GameNBA All-Star weekend winnersNew All-Star Game formatThere was some initial pushback — Math is for nerds! — but the new format worked.Team LeBron and Team Giannis dialed up the intensity and genuinely cared about the outcome of the game. Defense actually mattered. Kyle Lowry took MULTIPLE charges. This felt different.Anthony Davis’ game-winning free throw was somewhat anticlimactic, but it didn’t completely take away from the enjoyment. The NBA should keep these rules in place for 2021 and beyond.🙌 @AntDavis23 misses the first but MAKES the 2nd free-throw to win the 2020 #NBAAllStar game for #TeamLeBron and earn $300,000 more for @ChicagoScholars! pic.twitter.com/b3vYtfK3EJ— NBA (@NBA) February 17, 2020″I didn’t know what to expect because it was a new format, new year. None of us knew what to expect,” LeBron James said. “But throughout the whole fourth quarter and at the end of the game, everybody was like, ‘That was pretty damn fun.'”Kawhi LeonardSpeaking of fun, the “Fun Guy” wins again.Leonard added more hardware to his trophy case with the first-ever Kobe Bryant MVP award. He scored a game-high 30 points and drained eight 3-pointers for Team LeBron.Kawhi Leonard scores 30 PTS and hits 8 triples to lead #TeamLeBron to victory in the 2020 #NBAAllStar Game and win the Kia NBA All-Star Game Kobe Bryant MVP Award! #KiaAllStarMVP pic.twitter.com/HNQtL17fHH— NBA (@NBA) February 17, 2020So Leonard owns two NBA Finals MVPs and an All-Star Game MVP. Any thoughts about winning the only MVP award left?”My mindset is always just to try to make my team the best team at the end of the season, and if I’m fortunate enough to win a regular season MVP, then I’ll be happy with it,” Leonard said. “I always just want to win championships. I’m not really concerned with the personal goal. So I always just want to play on an MVP level so my team can win.”Yep, sounds about right.LeBron James”General manager LeBron” jokes aside, the guy sure knows how to pick an All-Star team.James is now 3-0 as an All-Star captain with one win over Stephen Curry and two victories over Giannis Antetokounmpo. He also moved into second place on the all-time list of All-Star Game starts with 16, jumping ahead of Kobe Bryant, the late legend who meant so much to James.“His presence was definitely felt here in Chicago.”LeBron reflects on honoring Kobe during #NBAAllStar Weekend. pic.twitter.com/O7zbX3MC4X— NBA TV (@NBATV) February 17, 2020Chris PaulYo, we got a CP3 alley-oop slam? In this economy?!Russ lobs it to CP3.#NBAAllStar #PhantomCam pic.twitter.com/b5GrGImgY3— NBA (@NBA) February 17, 2020″I ain’t Russ (Westbrook),” Paul said. “It’s got to be the perfect throw, everything. So it was cool.”Very cool, indeed.Basketball fansAgain, every night we saw something special.The Trae Young-Luka Doncic viral moment in the Rising Stars Challenge, Buddy Hield’s 3-point Contest walkoff, the back-and-forth between Aaron Gordon and Derrick Jones Jr. in the Slam Dunk Contest, the thrilling All-Star fourth quarter, Jennifer Hudson’s tribute to Bryant — Chicago offered a terrific all-around experience.NBA All-Star weekend losersAaron GordonOK, it wasn’t great for everyone.The Magic forward found himself in second place once again at the end of the Slam Dunk Contest despite scoring 297 out of a possible 300 points and throwing down the best dunk of the night.Off the side of the backboard. 360. Windmill. AG. 🌀🌪️ pic.twitter.com/FWcUyFIBJR— NBA (@NBA) February 16, 2020After losing to Jones on Saturday and Zach LaVine in 2016, Gordon says he won’t be returning to the contest.”No, it’s a wrap, bro. It’s a wrap,” Gordon said. “I feel like I should have two trophies, you know what I mean? It’s over for that. My next goal is going to be trying to win the 3-point Contest.”This just means Gordon is somehow going to be the runner-up in the 3-point Contest, too.Slam Dunk Contest judgesWe can’t talk about Gordon without mentioning the judging controversy.Gordon had earned only 50s prior to his final dunk, a two-handed rim-rocker over 7-5 Celtics center Tacko Fall. Apparently that slam was only worth 47. (The individual scores from each judge on Gordon’s last dunk: Dwyane Wade, 9; Common, 10; Candace Parker, 10; Chadwick Boseman, 9; Scottie Pippen, 9.)🚨 AARON GORDON DUNKS OVER TACKO FALL! 🚨#StateFarmSaturday on @NBAonTNT pic.twitter.com/cMmRjnnTzN— NBA (@NBA) February 16, 2020″Jumping over somebody 7-5 and dunking is no easy feat,” Gordon said. “What did I get, like a 47? Come on, man. What are we doing?”Players around the league expressed shock and anger on Twitter, saying Gordon got “robbed” after another fantastic performance. Some of the judges didn’t even understand what happened.”We thought it was going to be tied. We were like, ‘This is a tie!'” Common told ESPN’s Ramona Shelburne. “But somebody didn’t do it right. I don’t know who it is.”Hey Adam Silver, time to investigate. Start with the Black Panther.Giannis AntetokounmpoLook, Antetokounmpo is likely going to win another MVP award. The Bucks are destroying the rest of the NBA. He had 25 points, 11 rebounds and four assists in the All-Star Game.He has lost to James in back-to-back years, though, so he must fall into this category. Still, give him credit for the best defensive play of the night. This was impressive.