Facebook LIMERICK EAST TD Kieran O’Donnell has called on Taoiseach Brian Cowen to resign after the Taoiseach declared he would continue on in government.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The Fine Gael deputy said that an election is the only thing that will bring some certainty to the country. Print “We have lost our capacity to negotiate credibility on behalf of the Irish people.“The negotiations with the IMF are the most defining moments since we gained independence.Commenting on the behaviour of the Taoiseach Brian Cowen and Minister of Finance Brian Lenihan this week, he said:“I think they did the country a major disservice and weakened our dealing with the IMF.“The government has run out of road, people don’t trust them, and the bond market doesn’t trust them”.This morning Green Party leader John Gormley called for an election in January.This afternoon Independent TDs Michael Lowry and Jackie Healy Rae withdrew their support for the government.In response to today’s events Limerick West TD Nial Collins said:“It’s a very fluid political environment, on one hand people want an election and the other hand they want a budget to put through.“It’s an unprecedented situation”. Advertisement Email WhatsApp Twitter Linkedin NewsLocal NewsTaoiseach needs to go – O’DonnellBy admin – November 22, 2010 697 Previous articleNagle to start against ScarletsNext articleRequested false driving licence on CB radio admin
LAS VEGAS – Like countless tourists who visit this city, the Warriors took a gamble on their future.To ensure they would get something for Kevin Durant leaving for Brooklyn, they acquired D’Angelo Russell in a sign-and-trade. That bolstered their backcourt, but it also put them up against a hard salary cap, making it uncertain that they afford to re-sign Kevon Looney.“I was thinking what everybody else was thinking: ‘Man, what will it mean for me and what’s going to happen?’” Looney said in …
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is likely to induct Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Ganesh Naik on Monday. Senior leaders said a formal ceremony will be held to welcome the Navi Mumbai strongman, who will follow in the footsteps of his son Sandeep, along with 50-odd corporators and supporters into the party ranks. Party sources said Mr. Naik met the Navi Mumbai municipal commissioner and the Konkan commissioner earlier this week to chalk out modalities for a change of guard in the civic body. “We are expecting as many as 50 corporators to follow the Naiks,” a senior BJP leader said. Naik’s exit is likely to impact the seat-sharing negotiations between the Congress and NCP. Meanwhile, the BJP and Shiv Sena have started seat-sharing talks for the Assembly elections. Sources said the BJP has asked for more than 160 seats, with its preliminary assessment showing it can win the same number on its own. The Sena has reportedly refused to accept any formula where it gets fewer than 110 seats, and the splinter groups fewer than 18. “The talks have just begun and we will chalk out a formula as we go along. We are confident of winning 160 seats on our own,” said a BJP functionary.
Barcelona chief Cury meets with Neymar minders, Zahavi as return project launchedby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBarcelona have launched their plans to bring PSG star Neymar back to the Nou Camp this summer.Driving the deal is Barca chief Andre Cury, who was crucial in Neymar’s original move from Santos to the LaLiga giants.Neymar has made it clear he is eager to return – and now Barca are putting plans in place to make the deal happen.Radio Catalunya reports Cury met with the player’s minders before Christmas. He has also since held talks with super agent Pini Zahavi, who is part of Neymar’s entourage, along with Alvaro Costa, who is a close friend of the player’s.Neymar wants to return and the feeling is mutual inside Barca where the players and coaching staff would happily welcome him back. TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Arsenal defender Chambers determined to be first-choice for Emeryby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal defender Calum Chambers is determined to be a first-choice for manager Unai Emery.The England international has begun the season impressively.He said, “I think to establish yourself here, you need to play week in, week out. It’s the same at every club you go to. When you’re playing week in, week out that’s when you really establish yourself to the team and the fans.”That’s a goal I want to push for, it’s one of my aims, so I’ve got to figure out how I can do that. I need to work on things off the pitch to help me achieve that, that’s the aim for this season.”I feel good, I’ve had a good summer, pre-season’s gone well and I’ve settled back in nicely with the lads and the new manager. I’m ready for this season ahead, I’m ready to fight and ready to give everything to this team. I’m excited for the season ahead and what we can achieve.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
VANCOUVER – The UN is sending early signals that it approves of Canada’s forthcoming plans for peacekeeping, which are expected to involve several smaller contributions rather than a single specific mission that gets all of the government’s available resources.The Trudeau government is poised to finally open the curtains — at least partly — Wednesday on what sort of military personnel and equipment it is willing to offer to help with the UN’s peacekeeping efforts.The long-awaited decision comes more than a year after the Liberals first promised to make up to 600 Canadian troops and 150 police officers available to the UN, and as Canada plays host to a major peacekeeping summit in Vancouver.Sources have said that rather than focusing on one mission, Canada is offering the UN a veritable grab bag of goodies in the form of helicopters, trainers and other assets for a variety of different missions.While such an approach might seem scattershot, it’s actually preferable when it comes to developed countries like Canada, the UN’s undersecretary general for field support told The Canadian Press in an interview.That’s because many missions are short on the type of high-end equipment and personnel that Canada can offer, said Atul Khare, who oversees the day-to-day operations of peacekeeping missions in the field.“It is precisely in these high-technology areas — engineers, hospitals and doctors, strategic airlift and tactical airlift — that developed countries have the largest contribution to make simply because they have the capacity,” Khare said.“And I do see a great advantage of distributing that capacity because through distribution of that capacity, the gaps are better filled globally.“Rather than only making one mission 100 per cent, you improve many missions from, say, 70 per cent to 80 per cent, which is a better way of improving the situation globally.”Speaking in the Philippines, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday that Canada’s contribution would ensure “maximum positive impact, not just for Canadian contributions but for all peacekeepers.”Sources say the government has put several offers on the table for the UN’s consideration, including the deployment of helicopters to help in Mali, and a transport plane in Uganda to assist different missions in Africa.Canada is also reportedly ready to provide a rapid-reaction force in the Golan Heights between Israel and Syria; contribute to the UN’s new police mission in Haiti; and send trainers to help other countries become better at peacekeeping.But UN and Canadian officials are said to still be hammering out many of the details, such as when and how those offers would be employed, suggesting the government’s announcement Wednesday will be light on specifics.Khare would not talk about Canada’s offer, but he did say such discussions between the UN and contributing countries are commonplace as both sides work to ensure promised troops and equipment are used to the best effect.“It is for the individual countries to decide and give us their specific options, and then for the secretariat to examine those specific options and work with the countries to find what best capabilities they are offering are best suited where,” he said.“That means instead of fixing a caveat, that we will only go to Lebanon or we will only go to Mali, this is the capacity which we have and are willing to put on offer. If you have some use of it, come back and discuss with us on where it can be best deployed as a joint decision.”
(A line of North Dakota police are trying to stop anti-pipeline demonstrators from gaining access to a nearby construction site. Photo: Tamara Pimentel/APTN)APTN National NewsDemonstrators in North Dakota are in a stand-off with local police at a private ranch near where a section of the Dakota Access LLC pipeline is being built. APTN reporter Tamara Pimentel says medics are on hand and police are threatening to use tear gas.According to a statement from the Morton County Sheriff’s Department, the stand-off is taking place on the banks of the Cantapeta Creek. Police say demonstrators are trying to gain access to the Cannon Ball Ranch. The ranch was sold to Dakota Access Pipeline LLC (DAPL) in September.Members of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe say the ranch contains hundreds of burials and artifacts.“Early this morning, law enforcement witnessed a group of protesters building a hand-made, wooden pedestrian bridge across the Cantapeta Creek,” said the Sheriff’s Department statement. “Officers responded and ordered protesters to remove themselves from the bridge and notified them that if they cross the bridge they would be arrested.”The statement goes on to say the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) gave the Sherriff’s department orders to have the bridge removed and arrest anyone who enters federal land in the area near the ranch. The USACE is currently studying the possibility of rerouting the controversial pipeline.Police say demonstrators continue to gain access by swimming and using other boats to get across the river after authorities destroyed the bridge.More to [email protected]
Chris Stewart APTN National NewsAcross Alberta people are celebrating Métis week.In Edmonton, the Alberta government and Métis leaders remembered the achievements and the sacrifice Louis Riel made for his [email protected]
Hot Takedown Welcome to the latest episode of Hot Takedown, FiveThirtyEight’s sports podcast. On this week’s show (April 12, 2016), we explore the pain of Jordan Spieth’s collapse in the final round of the 2016 Masters with Golf Digest’s Shane Ryan, we argue about Sam Hinkie’s legacy with the Philadelphia 76ers and ask whether his resignation is a referendum on tanking in the NBA, and we preview the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Plus, a significant digit on the Detroit Tigers fan who caught five foul balls at a home game against the Pittsburgh Pirates.Stream the episode by clicking the play button, or subscribe using one of the podcast clients we’ve linked to above. Links to what we discuss are here:ESPN’s Ian O’Connor says Jordan Spieth’s collapse was the most shocking in golf’s history.Neil Paine explains why Spieth’s choke also required a great comeback from Englishman Danny Willett.Here is Sam Hinkie’s 13-page letter to the Philadelphia 76ers’ investors.And here’s Albert Burneko of Deadspin telling us why Hinkie’s words are self-congratulatory and borderline incoherent.On the other side, 76ers’ blogger Andrew Unterberger says Hinkie gave Philly hope.The Washington Post’s Fancy Stats blog outlines the fatal flaws of this year’s NHL playoff teams.And Kevin Allen in USA Today says there are no favorites on the way to the Stanley Cup.Significant Digit: about 1 in 262 trillion. That’s the estimated likelihood of catching five foul balls at the home of the Detroit Tigers, Comerica Park — a feat achieved by Tigers’ fan Bill Dugan at a game on Monday. Embed Code More: Apple Podcasts | ESPN App | RSS | Embed If you’re a fan of our podcasts, be sure to subscribe on Apple Podcasts and leave a rating/review. That helps spread the word to other listeners. And get in touch by email, on Twitter or in the comments. Tell us what you think, send us hot takes to discuss and tell us why we’re wrong.
OSU coach Thad Matta looks on during a game against Bryant Dec. 11 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 86-48. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editorOhio State coach Thad Matta preaches team defense to his players every single day, a doctrine of success that has helped him lead the Buckeyes to 259 victories, a pair of Final Fours and four straight trips to the Sweet Sixteen.OSU’s defensive prowess has shown through even more this season, as the Buckeyes rank second in the country in scoring defense at 53.8 points per game, just a touch behind Clemson (53.6).“Coach Matta talks about it a lot, about every game, that we’re the best defense in the country,” junior guard Shannon Scott said Friday. “We really want to have that in our heads that nobody should be able to score on us. We want to make sure we’re the aggressor while we’re on offense and defense.”The Buckeyes (9-0, 0-0) have recorded 70 steals so far this season, with Scott and senior guard Aaron Craft swiping 21 and 23, respectively. The team also has 48 blocks through nine games, half of which are from junior center Amir Williams. Consistency on defense all over the floor is leading to the success, Scott said.“I feel like we’re all really connected right now,” Scott said.The Buckeyes are set to take on the North Dakota State Bison (7-3, 0-0) Saturday, who are fresh off of a 73-69 win at Notre Dame.“I think that was the best thing for us honestly,” Scott said, referring to the Bison’s win against the Irish. “We know they’re coming in as a great team, they just beat a great Notre Dame team. The fact that they’re coming in the way they are really puts us … backs us up on our toes where we can’t just go into the game expecting them to hand us the game because we’re Ohio State and they’re North Dakota State.”Bison senior forward Marshall Bjorklund scored 26 points against the Irish, and is one of four players who averages double figures in scoring.“(Bjorklund) shoots a very high percentage, so we have to try to get him outside the box, outside his comfort zone and not (let) him get the looks he’s been getting,” junior center Trey McDonald said Friday. “And also rely on some of the help from the guards with our pressure defense on the ball.”Matta said Bjorklund is “right there” in the discussion of best post player his team has faced all season, but has been pleased with what McDonald and Williams have done so far on defense, particularly in the team’s win against Bryant.“I’ve been very pleased, and I thought both guys Wednesday night had great awareness, great energy,” Matta said. “They made some plays out of their area, be it helping along the baseline or Amir blocking shots … That’s what we want those guys to do is to really plug the middle for us down there.”McDonald said he and Williams see playing against Bjorklund as an opportunity.“Although it is a team, it is team defense, we look at it as a personal challenge,” McDonald said. “Someone shooting that high of a field goal percentage and averaging that many points, we definitely look to Amir to try and shut them down and play our defensive game as we have been doing.”Shutting down Bjorklund and the rest of the Bison will be a challenge for the Buckeye defense, and even though there is always room to improve, Matta likes where they’re at currently.“I think that we’ve got some guys that are underrated defenders. I love what guys are bringing to the table,” Matta said. “Are we perfect? No, we’re not perfect. But we have guys dialed in and connected and tuned into scouting.”Tipoff between the Buckeyes and Bison is set for 8:15 p.m. at the Schottenstein Center.