Charity surpluses dropped by 60% in two years of recession

first_imgCharity surpluses dropped by 60% in two years of recession Howard Lake | 25 May 2011 | News The Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) reports that charities’ surpluses dropped by 60% between 2007 and 2009 during the recession, demonstrating that many charities are now operating “on a financial knife-edge with little room to breathe”.Analysis of charities’ annual returns on CAF’s recently launched website, Charity Trends, shows that registered charities in England and Wales had on average £24,507 of surplus in 2007, compared to £10,240 in 2009, which is the last year with complete data. Overall these charities’ total surplus dropped from £3.59 billion in 2007 to £1.45 billion in 2009. Adjusted for inflation, this total is even less than that recorded for 2002.CAF defines surplus as total income minus total expenditure.Colin Walton, Head of Charities at the Charities Aid Foundation said: “Our analysis shows just how difficult the last few years have been for charities financially.“The fall in surpluses makes things extremely difficult for charities as it means less to invest in their organisation and staff, less opportunities to expand their services and less to put aside into reserves. Charities have always had to work efficiently, but the situation over the last two to three years has meant more and more charities are working on a financial knife-edge.”www.charitytrends.org/InsightFull.aspx Tagged with: Finance recession AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving.  26 total views,  1 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThislast_img read more

Ailing Cameroonian journalist must be freed before it is too late

first_imgNews RSF_en News April 23, 2021 Find out more CameroonAfrica Condemning abuses ImprisonedJudicial harassment Cameroonian reporter jailed since August, abandoned by justice system CameroonAfrica Condemning abuses ImprisonedJudicial harassment News News Follow the news on Cameroon Receive email alerts Case against Amadou Vamoulké baseless, French lawyers tell Cameroon court to go further Help by sharing this information November 20, 2019 Ailing Cameroonian journalist must be freed before it is too late Held for the past three years and three months in Yaoundé’s Kondengui prison on an unsubstantiated charge of misusing state funds to benefit CRTV, Vamoulké is due to appear before Cameroon’s Special Criminal Court (TCS) for the 24th time today. At tomorrow’s hearing, the court is expected to rule on his lawyer’s request for his provisional release on the grounds of the extremely worrying deterioration in his health, which RSF saw for itself when it visited him in Kondengui prison. Vamoulké told RSF that he has “pains in both feet that keep him awake at night” and that he has received no treatment for the neuropathy, a condition affecting the peripheral nerves, that was diagnosed in September.RSF has copies of the two medical reports issued in September, one by Yaoundé’s central hospital and the other by the American Hospital of Paris, that describe his neuropathy as “severe” and say he needs tests and treatment that are not available in Cameroon.“In the absence of appropriate medical care, this journalist is reduced to treating himself with vitamins that he buys with his own money after reading online that they could help to relieve his pain, said Arnaud Froger, the head of RSF’s Africa desk. The authorities must free Amadou Vamoulké before it is too late. If the denial of medical care continues, he could lose the use of his legs. Regardless of the substance of the case, which has dragged on for years in the absence of evidence, the court has at the very least an obligation not to put this eminent journalist’s life in danger. His medical evacuation is a moral obligation.”On 12 November, RSF used an emergency procedure to refer his case to the UN special rapporteur on torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment and to the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention, enclosing copies of the two medical reports.In September, RSF referred Vamoulké’s detention to two special rapporteurs at the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights – the special rapporteur on freedom of expression and access to information and the special rapporteur on prisons and conditions of detention.CRTV’s director-general from 2005 to 2016, Vamoulké was arrested in July 2016 on a charge of misusing several millions of euros in state funds, not for personal ends but with the sole aim of benefitting CRTV. No evidence to support this charge has been produced at any of the 23 trial hearings so far held.Vamoulké was the only African journalist nominated for this year’s RSF Press Freedom Prize. A staunch campaigner for the decriminalization of press offences in Cameroon and for opening up broadcasting to the private sector for the sake of diversity, Vamoulké was the first president of the Union of Cameroonian Journalists.Cameroon is ranked 131st out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2019 World Press Freedom Index. Cameroonian journalist Paul Chouta sentenced and fined in defamation case May 31, 2021 Find out more May 19, 2021 Find out more After visiting Amadou Vamoulké, the detained former director-general of Cameroon’s state-owned radio and TV broadcaster, CRTV, in prison, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is alarmed by the continuing decline in his state of health and calls for him to be medevacked to receive the specialized hospital care he badly needs. Organisation last_img read more

Dooradoyle resident pens history novel

first_imgCelebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick Previous articleGearóid hoping to pull his weight in marathonNext articleDelta take off Guest Writerhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Watch the streamed gig for Fergal Nash album launch Twitter TAGSKieran GintyMusic Limericknovel #HearThis: New music and video from Limerick rapper Strange Boy Print WhatsApp Linkedin Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up NewsCommunityDooradoyle resident pens history novelBy Guest Writer – May 2, 2013 1076 Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ Emma Langford shortlisted for RTE Folk Award and playing a LIVE SHOW!!! this Saturday Advertisement Kieran GintyA NOVEL dealing with one of the most dramatic periods in Irish history has been penned by a Dooradoyle resident.  Kieran Ginty wrote  ‘The Boys of Ballycroy’ – a story of how seven friends cope with the arrival of three conflicts – World War I, the Irish War of Independence and The Irish Civil War. Limerick is featured in the book citing some of the events that occurred in the city during the ‘Black and Tan’ period. Originally from Mayo, Kieran took up writing as a hobby. The father of two is works as a full-time public servant.  The 42-year-old first came to Limerick in 1989 to study public administration in UL. ‘The Boys of Ballycroy’ is now available in O’Mahonys book shop. Email New Music: 40Hurtzlast_img read more