Unemployment in Limerick now lowest since 2008

first_imgLimerick mayor must have real powers to drive transport strategy Email Print Twitter More than €1 Million allocated to Limerick homeowners this year through energy efficiency grants WhatsApp First directly elected mayor vote could take place in 2021 BusinessNewsPoliticsUnemployment in Limerick now lowest since 2008By Editor – May 8, 2017 1443 Senator Maria ByrneThe Live Register in Limerick has fallen by 15.6% since this time last year. Overall there has been a decrease of 47.2% since the launch of Fine Gael’s Action Plan for Jobs in February 2012.Commenting on these figures, Fine Gael Senator, Maria Byrne said: “The national unemployment rate now stands at 6.2 %, down from a peak of 15.2% in 2012, as highlighted by my colleague, the Minister for Jobs, Enterprise & Innovation Mary Mitchell O’Connor earlier this week. The Live Register has declined by 40% nationally since we launched the Action Plan for Jobs in early 2012.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “Thankfully this is not just a national success story; Limerick is also benefitting from the trend of falling unemployment.“CSO figures show that the Live Register in Limerick has fallen by 15.6% since April last year. Overall the Live Register has decreased by 47.2% here in Limerick since the launch of Fine Gael’s Action Plan for Jobs in February 2012.“The number of persons on the Live Register in April 2017 is the lowest number recorded in the seasonally adjusted series since October 2008.“We must ensure that this trend continues for the well-being of all our people.“In February we launched the Action Plan for Jobs 2017 to help creates jobs for all who seek one.For rural Ireland only 70% of the new jobs added in 2016 were outside Dublin and the Action Plan for 2017 will continue with this focus.“Each new job created in Limerick is another family looking forward to a brighter future. Fine Gael in Government continues to prioritise job creation, because we believe that only a strong economy, supporting people at work, can pay for the services needed to improve people’s lives here in Limerick and around the country,” Senator Byrne concluded. Facebookcenter_img TAGSLive RegisterSenator Maria Byrne Previous articleThree year funding delay for LEADER projectsNext articleRemarkable day in the life of Maz and Bricks Editor Advertisement RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Live Register in County Limerick down 64 per cent since 2011 Linkedin Process to install second MRI scanner at UHL is underway 16% drop in Limerick live register figureslast_img read more

Limerick-based Wedding Avocado to benefit from new Virgin Media Ireland €1…

first_imgIRELAND’S leading connected entertainment provider Virgin Media has launched €1 Million support fund as part of its #BackingBusiness initiative to boost Irish businesses nationwide, with free on-air advertising including creative, production, profiles in relevant TV programmes and social media promotion across its full schedule covering Virgin Media Channels One, Two and Three, Virgin Media announced today.  WhatsApp WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Facebook LimerickNewsLimerick-based Wedding Avocado to benefit from new Virgin Media Ireland €1 Million support fundBy Meghann Scully – June 2, 2020 460 Aidan D’Arcy, Director of Business at Virgin Media said: “Virgin Media is supporting businesses around the country who are adapting to the challenges around Covid-19.“We’re using the full Virgin Media capability to back businesses like Wedding Avocado, Petit Avenue Baby Boutique and The Montenotte Hotel, among many others. This campaign celebrates and promotes the spirit of Irish businesses and their resolve to fight back, recover and succeed in spite of this unprecedented crisis.“We’re really delighted to make it happen and we’re looking forward to hearing from businesses in every village, town and city across Ireland.” he said. Limerick-based Wedding Avocado, which is an online marketplace that connects engaged couples and wedding suppliers, are one of the first businesses to be supported by this new fund. Their business will feature on Virgin Media’s weekly 60” ad break campaign and will also be promoted across Virgin Media’s official social media channels. The Virgin Media #BackingBusiness initiative is designed to underpin the renewal and recovery of businesses in communities throughout Ireland in response to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis.It’s open to businesses across the country and aims to give them a national platform to showcase their resilience and ingenuity during these challenging times.It will run until September, featuring as many Irish businesses as possible, and entering is really easy.All business owners have to do is to send in a short email, outlining who and where they are, some of their main products or services and how they have coped and reinvented themselves through the current crisis.  The ideal way to do this is to take a short video by mobile phone (including shots of the business premises).  You can simply email submissions to [email protected] or WhatsApp them to 089 611 1111.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Businesses from every sector will be profiled each week to include advertising airtime, ad creative and production, social media promotion, PR activity, content features and exclusive Virgin Media Business support package. Email TAGSKeeping Limerick PostedlimerickLimerick PostweddingWedding Avocado Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash Print Previous articleIreland’s First Ever Virtual Bat Walk to take place in LimerickNext articleLimerick Institute of Technology unveils roadmap to reopening its campuses. Meghann Scully Linkedin Wedding photo created by freepic.diller – www.freepik.com RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Advertisement Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Twitter Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Donal Ryan names Limerick Ladies Football team for League openerlast_img read more

China’s annual dog-meat fair opens; activists hope for last time

first_img“I do hope Yulin will change not only for the sake of the animals but also for the health and safety of its people,” said Peter Li, China policy specialist with the Humane Society International, an animal rights group.”Allowing mass gatherings to trade in and consume dog meat in crowded markets and restaurants in the name of a festival poses a significant public health risk,” he said.The coronavirus, which is believed to have originated in horseshoe bats before crossing into humans in a market in the city of Wuhan, has forced China to reassess its relationship with animals, and it has vowed to ban the wildlife trade.In April, Shenzhen became the first city in China to ban the consumption of dogs, with others expected to follow. China’s notorious dog-meat festival has opened in defiance of a government campaign to improve animal welfare and reduce risks to health highlighted by the novel coronavirus outbreak, but activists are hopeful its days are numbered.The annual 10-day festival in the southwestern city of Yulin usually attracts thousands of visitors, many of whom buy dogs for the pot that are on display in cramped cages, but campaigners said the numbers this year have dwindled.The government is drawing up new laws to prohibit the wildlife trade and protect pets, and campaigners are hoping that this year will be the last time the festival is held. The agriculture ministry also decided to classify dogs as pets rather than livestock, though it remains unclear how the reclassification will affect Yulin’s trade.Zhang Qianqian, an animal rights activist who was in Yulin on Saturday, said it was only a matter of time before the dog-meat festival was banned.”From what we understand from our conversations with meat sellers, leaders have said the consumption of dog meat won’t be allowed in future,” she said.”But banning dog-meat consumption is going to be hard and will take some time.” center_img Topics :last_img read more

Clippers vs. Chris Paul on hold due to star’s injury

first_imgBeverley’s return to Houston was put on pause after he underwent season-ending right knee surgery Nov. 22. Williams is the Clippers’ second-leading scorer, averaging 19.8 points in 29 games, including seven starts for the injury-depleted team.“I’m not disappointed, nope,” Clippers guard Austin Rivers said of missing a shot at facing Paul for the first time since the trade reshaped two teams. “They are an elite squad. That team is fun to watch. I watch a lot of their games because they’re so much fun to watch.”Rivers called James Harden the best offensive player in the NBA “besides LeBron” James.“He’s just a monster,” Rivers said of Harden. “Eric Gordon has played at a high level and Chris has been spectacular. A lot of people didn’t think he would fit in there, but he’s fit in there perfectly, it seems like. He’s not playing, and it is what it is, but they’re still an elite team with or without him.“It was the first game they lost with him? That’s crazy. It just shows his impact right there.” The Clippers’ first showdown with Chris Paul since trading him to the Houston Rockets in the offseason will have to wait. Paul was ruled out of Friday’s game against his old team Friday at the Toyota Center because of a strained muscle in his left thigh.Paul and the Rockets visit Staples Center to face the Clippers for the first time Jan. 15.“I think he’s day-to-day, but we’re going to be real cautious with it, I’m sure,” Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni told the Houston Chronicle on Thursday. “Without saying too much, it’s good, it’s not bad, but we want to make sure he’s OK.”Paul was injured during the Rockets’ loss Wednesday to the Lakers. The NBA-leading Rockets (25-5) lost for the first time with the All-Star guard in their lineup, after acquiring him from the Clippers for a package of players that included guards Patrick Beverley and Lou Williams. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorcenter_img Another challengeHarden scored 51 points in the Rockets’ loss to the Lakers and presents the greatest defensive challenge the Clippers (12-18) have faced since they took James and the Cleveland Cavaliers to overtime before losing Nov. 17. Harden is the NBA’s leading scorer, averaging 31.9 points.“Man, if I knew I wouldn’t … I don’t know,” Rivers said, trailing off when asked how best to check Harden. “He makes it so difficult to guard him because he constantly controls the game. He leads the league in free-throw attempts. You can’t touch him. He’s shooting the ball so well now.“You’ve just got to make it as difficult as possible. I think the best way to guard him is to load in on him and make other guys beat you. I think that’s probably what our game plan will be. We’ll probably look at what the Lakers did. Maybe we can watch and see what they did well.“I don’t think anybody has an answer for him. Hopefully, we find something, though.”last_img read more