World’s First Luxury Space Hotel Promises Climbing Wall, Low-Gravity Basketball Courts Next Editors’ Recommendations As a general rule, most men shy away from sleeping among live tigers. But, one boutique hotel in the United Kingdom provides a surprising — and bucket list-worthy twist — on the otherwise dangerous concept and manages to do a lot of good for wildlife conservation in the process.The aptly named Tiger Lodge is a one-of-a-kind boutique hotel situated on the Port Lympne Reserve in Kent, England. The lodge is embedded inside a live tiger den with large, panoramic windows through which hotel guests can survey the wild cat’s daily goings-on. Just to be clear: sleeping guests can literally crash within feet of one of the world’s most fearsome apex predators. The exclusive two-bedroom space is available to just four guests at a time. However, the purpose-built lodge is kitted out with a beautiful rustic decor, plus luxury amenities like a log-burning fireplace, a reading library, a 4K TV, and a unique raw-wood-and-tile bathroom with Bamford toiletries. A private balcony (not inside the tiger’s den, incidentally) affords views that stretch more than 30 miles across the reserve, all the way to the English Channel.Port Lympne Reserve is a first-class wildlife reserve in one of England’s most beautiful regions. More than 700 animals from 88 species call the massive property home. It’s a full-service property that offers photography walks, Segway tours, fishing expeditions, and hot air balloon rides, plus all-day restaurants cafes, and bars. Overnight guests are afforded additional VIP access that includes after-hours tours before the park opens in the morning and after it closes each evening. A golf cart is also provided to Lodge guests, as are night-vision binoculars for after-dark safaris.On paper, the park might boast an “amusement park/zoo/safari” vibe, but there’s a lot of good going on behind the scenes. The Port Lympne reserve is part of The Aspinall Foundation — a well-respected international conservation charity that has worked since 1984 to save endangered species in the United Kingdom and abroad. They’re especially well-renowned for their work in releasing captive and bred animals into safe wilderness preserves throughout the world.This bucket list-worthy experience doesn’t come cheap. Low season rates start at £375 (approximately $500 USD) nightly, while peak season runs up to £800 (more than $1,000 USD) per night. If it helps ease the financial pain, though, know that all profits at Port Lympne Reserve help spare rare wildlife species around the world. Sleep With the Wolves in Canada’s Parc Omega Escape to the Pacific Northwest at Hoh Rainforest Caravan Cabins Previous Learn Guitar (and Don’t Give Up) With the Fender Play App 1 of 5 Nevada’s Massacre Rim Named Latest International Dark Sky Sanctuary
A grandfather jailed for sexually abusing his granddaughter will not have his conviction quashed despite the 17-year-old now claiming that she invented the allegations.The man, who is 68, must continue to serve his 12-year prison sentence even though the girl, who was the main witness in the case against him, has said that she lied at his trial.Senior judges in the Court of Appeal heard how she invented the abuse as a way to gain attention from family members and friends but that after seeing her grandfather go to prison she realised she had to “do the right thing”. However the judges ruled that her original evidence at the trial in January last year at Snaresbrook crown court in London remained believable. In a ruling handed down on Friday the judges ruled that the girl, who was described as a “fragile and troubled teenager”, seemed motivated by regret that her grandfather had been imprisoned.The girl, known as M is proceedings as she cannot be named, first made the allegations about her relative to a counsellor in 2016, when she was 14. M told the counsellor that she realised that her grandfather’s behaviour was wrong only after attending sex education classes at school when she was in year eight. The counsellor reported the conversation to the police, who interviewed M the following day. Three months after the allegations were raised he faced charged of abusing the girl on several occasions when she was three or four, six or seven and eight or nine years old.The girl’s mother, M’s counsellor and a police officer all gave evidence in the trial. The man was convicted in February last year by a majority verdict of 11 to 1. The appeal was launched on the ground that the granddaughTer had given false evidence during the trial. M has now produced a 14-paragraph statement retracting the allegations against her relative. The statement says she wished to “withdraw my allegations as the alleged incidents did not in fact take place”.She says that she was “not informed of the consequences that would follow if the allegations I made were believed until after the proceedings had commenced, by which time I was too scared to say that I had lied. I now fully understand the severity of my allegations and the consequences of my actions.She went on to say that she had not liked the way her grandfather had treated her mother and “this gave me the idea” to make false allegations against him. The teenager went on to say: “I now realise the severity of my actions and sincerely regret them. After my grandfather went to prison, I knew I had to do the right thing and tell the truth. “I am making this statement because it is the right thing to do and I want to tell the truth. I am truly sorry for what I have done.”The retraction was supported by her mother, who during the trial was forced to deny that she had prompted her daughter to make the allegations because of her own dislike of her father-in-law.Concluding the trial it was ruled that there was “no proper basis for rejecting M’s original evidence”, adding: “We reject the veracity and reliability of her subsequent retraction statement, put in after sentence was announced.” Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings.
Team Captain Bevan Calvert (photo) bevan calvertcalvertkarlssonnajdovskipandzoquierozramadaniturecek ← Previous Story Marta Mangue to Le Havre? Next Story → ASOBAL: More chaos, clubs think of boycotting away games at BM Cangas and Palma del Rio Handball Australia [HA] is pleased to announce that the selection for the men’s national team tocompete in the XXIII World Championship to be held in Spain in January 2013 has beenfinalised.After Australia’s victory at the Oceania Men’s Handball World Championship Qualifier in June,the men’s squad embarked on a series of rigorous training camps for Australian-based players.The European-based players have engaged on high-level training and competition in theirrespective clubs, and reporting to a program set by Head Coach Taip Ramadani.The team comprises of experienced players who have represented Australia in previous worldchampionships and other significant international competitions, as well as new players who arebringing their enthusiasm and experience from high level handball competition from either juniorworld championship or playing in overseas handball clubs.HA welcomes and congratulates especially the following players who are debuting in the men’snational team: Almir Pandzo, Martin Najdovski, Kristofer Karlsson, Jay Abiera andAntonio Queiroz.HA congratulates the following players: The following officials will support the team:TR Taip Ramadani Head CoachZI Zlatan Ivankovic CoachJC John Calvert ManagerMT Melvin Thancanamootoo PhysiotherapistVC Violi Calvert Media & PRHead Coach Taip Ramadani (photo)