NSBI Announces Appointment of Interim CEO

first_imgThe board of directors of Nova Scotia Business Inc. (NSBI) announced today, July 22, that board member Ron Smith has been named interim chief executive officer while a search for a permanent CEO takes place. “Ron’s demonstrated leadership capabilities, together with his knowledge of the workings of NSBI through his tenure on the board, make him an ideal candidate to lead the organization while the search for a permanent CEO is completed,” said Janice Stairs, chair of the board of directors. “The board is very pleased that Ron has agreed to take on this interim role.” “Over the coming weeks, I will work with NSBI’s current president and CEO, Stephen Lund, to ensure an orderly transition prior to Mr. Lund’s departure in early August,” said Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith has held various senior executive roles such as chief financial officer of Maritime Tel and Tel Ltd. and senior vice-president and chief financial officer of Emera Inc. Along with serving as a member of the NSBI board of directors since September 2011, he is the past chair and a member of the board of governors of Acadia University, and also serves on the boards of AuRico Gold Inc. and PRO Real Estate Investment Trust, both listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange. Mr. Smith has previously served on the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board and the Canadian Accounting Standards Oversight Council. He is the former national president of the Canadian Association for Community Living and the former chair of the Atlantic Provinces Economic Council. Nova Scotia Business Inc. is the province’s private-sector-led business development agency. Through trade development, investment attraction, business financing and venture capital, NSBI assists local companies and attracts international companies to Nova Scotia.last_img read more

Dutch Handball Federation fined 550000 Euros

The EHF Court of Handball has released its decision on the case of the Netherlands Handball Federation and its announcement in June 2012 that it was to withdraw from the organisation of the Women’s EHF European Championship.The court concluded that the federation should pay a fine of €300,000 (three hundred thousand Euro) on the basis that the late withdrawal from EHF EURO 2012 constituted a serious breach of the EHF statutes and regulations and damaged the image of both the sport and the event.The Netherlands Handball Federation has also been suspended from the organisation of any EHF national team events from the next three years (until December 2016).Furthermore, the federation is required to reimburse to the EHF the additional costs and expenses associated with the withdrawal, an amount of €250,000 (two hundred and fifty thousand Euro).The Netherlands Handball Federation was awarded the organisation of the EHF’s flagship national team event at the 2008 EHF Congress in Austria. It announced its withdrawal on 4 June 2012, shortly before the planned draw event for the Final Tournament.Following the Netherlands’ withdrawal as host of the European Championship, the EHF received expressions of interest in the organisation of the two-week event from 11 nations. The event was ultimately awarded to the Serbian Handball Federation, on the basis of the successful organisation of the Men’s EHF EURO in January 2012.According to the EHF legal regulations, the Netherlands Handball Federation may appeal to the EHF Court of Handball within seven days of this decision (before 28 August 2013). TEXT: EHF / jjr ← Previous Story Fuchse win the war for Heinevetter – Silvio in Berlin until 2018! Next Story → Over 500.000 handball licenses in French handball! Dutch handballEHF Court of HandballEuropean handballhandball courtNetherlands Handball Federation read more